We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which part of Lefkas would suit us?

Which Lefkada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rotherham, South...
reviews: 4
Which part of Lefkas would suit us?

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are considering a trip to Lefkas in the summer but know very little about where to stay. Can anyone advise where might suit, based on the following:

- Close to a nice beach

- Restaurants and bars nearby - nothing too touristy but don't want it too quiet or deserted

- We would like to hire a car and travel around to other beaches/areas but would also like to be somewhere with amenities within walking distance

If anyone can advise which area we should be looking at then we can begin our search for accommodation. Any suggestions for accommodation would be gratefully received too - we are undecided as yest about whether to go self catering or nice hotel so any recommendations would give us a starting point.

Many thanks in advance

Alison

Rotherham, South...
1. Re: Which part of Lefkas would suit us?

PS. A sandy beach rather than pebble/shingle would be preferable.

Cephalonia, Greece
reviews: 51
2. Re: Which part of Lefkas would suit us?

Nidri is a really lovely part of Lefkas, with sandy beaches and a short ferry ride away from Meganissi, which is absolutely gorgeous. We didn't say in Nidri, but found a lovely, peaceful hotel in Lygia (we only visited for three nights, on a short break from Kefalonia, the ferry is regular from Fiskardo to Vasiliki) the hotel is called the Avra, and it was excellent. You will need a car to see this stunning "island", Porto Katsiki is well worth a visit, Lefkada Town is wonderful, in fact we really need to go back three days was just NOT long enough.

Rotherham, South...
3. Re: Which part of Lefkas would suit us?

Thanks for your reply. I've read that some of the beaches in the Nidri area are shingle/pebbley, which area/beaches in Nidri should we be looking at for a sandy beach?

How long did the ferry from Kefalonia take? We are wondering whether to divide our time between the two just stick to one.

Thanks again

Cephalonia, Greece
reviews: 51
4. Re: Which part of Lefkas would suit us?

Oh absolutely, divide your time if you can, if you're there for two weeks it would be ideal to spend a week on each island. Kefalonia is just gorgeous, but Lefkas for us comes a very close second. I would suggest if you're flying in to Prevezza to head straight for Kefalonia and then spend your final time on Lefkas so you are within easy reach of your departure airport (obviously vice versa if you fly into Kefalonia), the ferry takes less than an hour, but docks in the north of Kefalonia. If you're wanting sandy beaches you will then have to drive down to the south. The drive is fine, takes a little over an hour (but will most likely take you longer as the views will just HAVE to be photographed) and is on a fairly decent road.

I will ask friends of ours re beaches near Nidri................they are Lefkas experts, we, on the other hand are total beginners.

Don't want to throw the cat among the pigeons........but have you looked at Stoupa on the Mani peninusula...............gorgeous, just gorgeous.

staffordshire
reviews: 34
5. Re: Which part of Lefkas would suit us?

Hi there . Been nidri 6 times now all the beaches are shingley . But i do love the beaches its the views you could visit other resorts when u hire a car some other resorts have sand. lefkas town is nice for shopping and taverns but no beach really the other resorts are a bit to quite for me but nice to visit , nidri has the most bars and places to eat some right on the beach with them views ( heaven ) places to stay in nidri we mosty stay in the belair hotel b/b. other places that are nice eva beach right on the beach front We have been to many greece islands but nidri is my fav but each to there own hope this helps . Karen

Rotherham, South...
6. Re: Which part of Lefkas would suit us?

Thanks to you both for the replies - lots to think about!! Now I have a few ideas as a starting point, I'll get researching. Thanks again - roll on the summer.

Alison

suffolk
reviews: 5
7. Re: Which part of Lefkas would suit us?

As said most of the East Coast is pebble beaches . Nydri beach is very narrow too .

Vassiliki in the South may be more for you . Nearly all the long wide sandy beaches are on the West Coast .

I much prefer Lefkada to Kephallonia for its beaches on the West . Nothing wrong with keph and obviously some very nice beaches and scenery . I just feel Lefkada is better .

Andy

Athens, Greece
8. Re: Which part of Lefkas would suit us?

As you will rent a car a good option is Aghios Nikitas at the west side of the island, this is a small village next to the sea side, from there you go to the most beautiful beaches which are located the the west side of the island,

in case prices are high at the Hotels of Agios Nikitas you can stay at Tsoukalades (it is not next to sea side) this is a village before Aghios Nikitas,

For night life Agios Nikitas is a little quite but has 2 or 3 small bars, but the town of Lefkada is 15 minutes and Nidri is 30 minutes, both by a car.

If you will not rent a car the Nidri or any other village near to Nidri

suffolk
reviews: 5
9. Re: Which part of Lefkas would suit us?

I agree Ag Nik is a lovely area and very picturesque . Lovely restaurants and shops ,bakers etc .

It is very well known though so does get extremely busy in July /August , The little beach there is nice if its quiet but unless you like being like a sardine its not really useable at high season .

It is a lovely base to stay though ,and one of the best beaches is just over the hill or a short boat ride . Car hire is a must

really on Lefkada to get to the better beaches , Egremnoi ,Gialos , Kathisma , Kalamitsi etc . Port Katziki has to be seen but it also gets very busy during the summer .

Andy

Rotherham, South...
10. Re: Which part of Lefkas would suit us?

Thanks again for all the info. If we were to stay in/near Nidri, how far away is the nearest sandy beach?

Just now trying to decide how much we are bothered by the shingle/pebbley beaches - the rest sounds perfect!

Thanks again