We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hand luggage only Thomas Cook

Which Corfu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Loughborough...
reviews: 62
Hand luggage only Thomas Cook

Hello!

I am booked to fly out to Corfu from the UK with Ryanair who give 10kg for travelling with just hand luggage and don't seem to check the weight either.

However I am flying home with Thomas Cook who have the same luggage size requirements but their weight allowance is just 5kgs and so my question is to ask if anyone else has flown from Corfu with Thomas Cook with just hand luggage how strict are they on hand luggage weight? Can I have 2 pieces of hand luggage with them? As each would weigh 5kg as my clothes are light but my handbag with my kindle, phone etc tend to also add up to 5kgs.

5kgs is pushing it in total and I didn't want to pay for a bag unless I have absolutely have to especially as I normally travel with around 10kgs anyway.

I realise this may sound a tight question but why pay for something you don't need to, would rather spend my pennies in resort!

Thanks very much for your help!!

East Anglia
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
reviews: 47
1. Re: Hand luggage only Thomas Cook

The weight (and dimensions) check with Ryanair varies with how full the plane is, how the staff feel on the day and probably half a dozen other reasons.

Are you sure that Thomas Cook don't give you any checked in luggage free? If you are on a package holiday with them you normally get 15kg included.

If they say one piece of hand luggage only then ..........

You could wear a jacket with big pockets for your electrical goods etc.!!

Loughborough...
2. Re: Hand luggage only Thomas Cook

Thanks for your quick reply. I am not on a package holiday I have a flight only booked which is why luggage is not included.

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
reviews: 123
3. Re: Hand luggage only Thomas Cook

Hi there

Not sure if this helps..or whether you would do this...but I saw a women a couple of years ago wearing one of those jackets which is full of pockets...she even had her laptop in her pocket...this was on an easyjet flight, so she had her hand baggage allowance, plus she had this "jacket" on...heres a link :-)

dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2224716/Jakto…

Loughborough...
4. Re: Hand luggage only Thomas Cook

hahaha!

Thanks for that but I think I'll risk it and worse case I have to pay at the airport on the day.

Thanks all!

Julia

Surrey
Destination Expert
5. Re: Hand luggage only Thomas Cook

Dont blame you Julia.. dont think I would wear one either :-)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 61
6. Re: Hand luggage only Thomas Cook

Yes, I think that's taking it too far...

Slightly less odd-looking though, most walking fleeces have quite large mesh pockets inside for holding maps etc. which could be quite useful, and can be used without being a laughing stock!! Also useful for chilly evenings...

East Anglia
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
reviews: 47
7. Re: Hand luggage only Thomas Cook

OMG!!!! Wouldn't wear or suggest anyone wore one of those!!

I also wouldn't want them sitting next to me!!

I have a Peter Storm sleeveless jacket with enough pockets to take a kindle, phone, Satnav, tickets, charger,and in one of the pockets but I forget which, passport and boarding card!

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
reviews: 22
8. Re: Hand luggage only Thomas Cook

Most airport check-in desks now have the frames in place to check hand-luggage sizes .... whether they choose to use them is something of a lottery. You can be sure that Ryanair do as that is their declared policy. It seems that hand luggage now does have to carry a sticky tag to show that it has at least been looked at by the check-in staff. I think handbags have to go into that same single bag.

I suspect that airlines will respond to poachers' jackets soon, as more & more people try to beat the system. Many of us are trying to push the boundaries, with a result that overhead lockers are at their capacity for safety. I noticed on a recent easyJet flight from Athens to Edinburgh, that each section of locker could take about six or seven fully-packed bags of the specified size and there was a weight limit for the locker of something like 35kg. If airlines continue to encourage people not to bring hold luggage, then overhead locker size will become a limiting factor. Those boarding last will have to search the length of the 'plane to find somewhere to stow their bags and this causes delays for take-off and disembarking. The pressure is on ...

Steve

Surrey
Destination Expert
9. Re: Hand luggage only Thomas Cook

Yes I think this is already starting to become a problem with easyjet...we only ever travel with hand luggage to Crete...and I mentioned to a member of easyjet staff recently what happens if you cant get your handluggage in one of the overhead lockers...she said that on check in the staff calculate how many people are on that plane with hand luggage "cases"....if you are one of the last to check in you may be requested to "check in" your hand luggage as they know that there will no room on the plane in the overhead lockers...at no additional charge...

OK if you have hold luggage as well...but a right pain for us as we like to get off the plane and go..we usually are in our hire car in less than 15 mins from landing....so the last thing we want to do is wait around for hold luggage.!!

10. Re: Hand luggage only Thomas Cook

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 24, 2014