We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay, where to rent...

Which Corfu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
reviews: 36
Where to stay, where to rent...

I'm arriving in Corfu the day before my pal (we're travelling in July) so I need to find a place that isn't too far from the airport for the night and will also be a good launching point for our travels around the island. Agios Gordios looks about right but I thought I'd ask.

Also what is the best and cheapest way to see the island? Anyone suggest a cheap car rental place or scooter?

Must see locales on our island tour would be appreciated too!

Corfu Town, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu
reviews: 9
1. Re: Where to stay, where to rent...

The closest hotel to the airport is hotel Bretagne, which is reasonably cheap, clean and decent, as far as friends who stayed there, have told me.

To travel around the island, you will need to be somewhere in the center , so the area around Corfu town is ideal, especially if you want to move around by bus. Cheap rentals are local firms which offer better rates than the well known ones. Just look close at the contract terms, to make sure that you are fully insured etc.

Falkirk
reviews: 2
2. Re: Where to stay, where to rent...

Thanks for the info. Would you say that travelling by bus is a fairly convenient way to explore the island?

Corfu Town, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu
3. Re: Where to stay, where to rent...

If there are 2-3 people it would be a lot easier and would save a lot of time to rent a car.

Maybe try 1-2 days moving around by bus, especially to visit easy to get places like Paleokastritsa, Dassia, Achillion etc which have very good bus connections and hard to park areas. Then, rent a car for 2-3 days, organizing day trips along the northern- southern part, going from one place to another, something you can't do by bus. You need one day for the north ( Sidari, Roda, Acharavi, Kassiopi, possibly Old Perithia for dinner) and one for the south, going from one beach to the next ( Halikounas, Issos, saint George etc)

Scotland
reviews: 36
4. Re: Where to stay, where to rent...

That sounds great and thanks so much for being specific as I've never been so have no idea what to see and what to miss. I'm not sure about Corfu Twon, it's a little expensive and I'd rather be on the beach...is there a reosrt/beach area that would be central to buses and Corfu Town?

Corfu Town, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu
5. Re: Where to stay, where to rent...

unless you stay in Corfu town, you will not be close to the bus terminal, to get buses for both north and south. If you stay in Dassia for example you'll be able to be in Corfu town in 20 min and the bus runs every 1/2 hour, but you will be able to get on buses that pass through Dassia and go north.

If you stay in Agios Gordios, where you mentioned, you'll need 30 min drive to Corfu town and not very frequent buses- -only to Corfu town.

Renting a car for the whole period, or for a couple of days can set you free to move around the island, make your own schedule, return "home" as late as you wish etc. Just organize your daily trips, not to waste time, visit places and nice beaches, so to make the most out of your stay here.

6. Re: Where to stay, where to rent...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 20, 2014