We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort on Corfu for authentic Greece?

Which Corfu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire
reviews: 105
Which resort on Corfu for authentic Greece?

My husband & I like traditional Greece. We want a beach holiday with lots of relaxation. We just want a decent selection of traditional tavernas, a good bakery & a mini market or two. I do not want to go to a resort full of English bars serving fry ups, fish & chips etc etc. I want to get away from all that. We went to Parga last year & loved it but it was v busy at night. Visited Samos the year before & enjoyed it there. Any suggestions most welcome.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Agios Gordios
reviews: 12
1. Re: Which resort on Corfu for authentic Greece?

This is very different to Parga, very laid back and just a short ride to Petriti a small working fishing village.

http://www.boukaribeach.gr/

dorset
reviews: 7
2. Re: Which resort on Corfu for authentic Greece?

Agios Georgios North http://www.agiosgeorgiospagi-bliss.com/ and http://www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/index.html would fit the bill. There is only one small hotel taking UK package tourists, and they tend to be the more sedate sort.

I can recommend Houmis apartments www.houmis.com/index.php?lang=en&menu=home

manchester
reviews: 42
3. Re: Which resort on Corfu for authentic Greece?

Hi Cate,

My suggestion would be Sans Stefanos North West a.k.a Agios Stefanos and not to be confused with agios stefanos north east. A beautiful sandy beach, a brilliant selection of taverna's all offering delicious food with some offering Greek dancing of an evening, there is a lovely bakery too selling fresh bread, cakes and pastries and there are also a few mini markets. The villagers are very friendly and helpful.

There are some lovely walks through the olive groves and over the headland, there are a couple of taverna's once you reach the top with some amazing views from both of them.You definetly won't find any fish and chips on sale in Sans Stefanos. It is a great place to relax and get away from it all. There is also a bus service to other resorts including Corfu town and if you wish then car hire and quad bike hire are available. If you enjoy trips then Sans Stefanos travel can provide these for you or you could hire a boat for the day and visit the little bays along the coastline.

It is mostly self catering accomodation although there are a few HB hotels with Thomsons but with so many taverna's to pick from then self catering in my opinion is the way to go. If you are thinking of booking flights and accomodation seperately then go to the website ' Corfu selections' here you will find some lovely and reasonably priced accomodations on offer and you can contact them via the website and they will advise on how to proceed r.e flights, they are always prompt to reply to your enquiries.

There is also a dedicated forum ' Sans Stefanos forum' where you can ask questions such as taverna info, what to do and see etc.

If you google ' virtual tour of Sans Stefanos' (bliss) you can take a virtual tour around the village and of course the beautiful beach, I think you will like what you see.

Hope this helps, if you need anymore info then please let me know.

Lancashire
4. Re: Which resort on Corfu for authentic Greece?

Hi - San Stefano looks perfect but we are only going for a week & the transfer time from the airport seems quite lengthy - can you clarify the transfer time please?

London
reviews: 2
5. Re: Which resort on Corfu for authentic Greece?

We went to Parga 2 years ago and yes it is busy at night but not that many Brits. Similar to Parga is Skopelos. (I know it isn't Corfu) but I think you will like it. It is the Island where they filmed Mamma Mia.

manchester
6. Re: Which resort on Corfu for authentic Greece?

Hi Cate, if you are doing a package holiday with Thomsons or Thomas Cook with coach transfer included then the transfer time is 1 hour- 1 and a half hours but it is worth it to stay at such a lovely resort. Would you be flying from Manchester? If so then the Thomas Cook flight is 9am on a Monday, Thomsons is 1330hrs on a Friday and I think early morning on a Monday so you would get in the resort fairly early with the morning flights. If you are doing an independent holiday then the taxi transfer would be around 50 minutes and costs around 50 euro's, you can still use the taxi option to the resort on a package holiday and just get on the coach on your return journey. Plenty of people do a weeks holiday, it is a nice journey from the airport and soon passes and like I say it is worth it when you get there.

manchester
7. Re: Which resort on Corfu for authentic Greece?

Whoops sorry Cate, I got the Thomsons flight times the wrong way around, Monday is 1330hrs and Friday is 6.05am so with the early morning flight you would be in the resort for lunch time with plenty of time to hit the beach or pool.

UK
reviews: 9
8. Re: Which resort on Corfu for authentic Greece?

Hi, we are going to Messonghi (2nd time) and would recommend it for a restful time. We walked to Boukari and Petriti from Messonghi which we found an easy relaxing walk albeit along the road which (in October at least) wasn't too much of a problem traffic-wise. Messonghi ticks your boxes for bakery / supermarkets and restaurants serving local food. Not so windy as the other side of the island either although the beach quality is not so good, i.e. it's more pebbly, less sandy in places.

UK
reviews: 9
9. Re: Which resort on Corfu for authentic Greece?

btw, we are flying easyjet from luton on a Saturday at 07.00. it's a smooth 30 mins or so transfer from corfu airport and our 'landlord' arranges the taxi door-to-door so no problems there with wasting our precious holiday time on transfers !:)

Edited: 1:18 pm, January 12, 2013
Lancashire
10. Re: Which resort on Corfu for authentic Greece?

Thank you all so much for your help. Decided not to book for Sans Stefanos as I had read horror stories of transfer times of up to 3.5 hours and we are doing a package. Ended up booking Petra in Lesvos. Hopefully one day we may visit Sans Stefanos.