We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhodes driving and other comments

Which Rhodes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South England
reviews: 140
Rhodes driving and other comments

We have just spent a week on Rhodes. We hired a car, picked up and dropped off at the airport (which saves transfers etc). There are several hire companies with the same terms, free second driver, included 100% damage waiver, no milage etc. We used George Rentals but as we had no problems I am unable to say what might have happened if we had. I suspect there would be no problem. Picked up car at 9.00pm (no paperwork, keys from kiosk) and dropped off at 9.00pm in the same way, took seconds. Many other firms do the same.

Its very cheap to hire a car and 100% worth it. Locals in Rhodes drive well (better than tourists on the whole). Note 50kph limits at junctions.

A cheap chinese ebay satnav (£45) with europe maps (usually included) is well worth it to get round Rhodes town and the first time from the airport (which may be at night). You can add (favourites) where you want to go using the map, as postcodes and road names may be scarce. I recommend a good map (B003ZIAZI6 use amazon) but get the hire company to add some of the new roads. Driving is easy, take it steady and note the speed limits (some are 30kph). It helps if you have a partner who reminds you "on the right", its easy to forget momentarily.

Parking in Rhodes town in Oct was tricky but plenty of places round the stadium, 1min to nearest gate, 5mins walk from the palace. You will get lost, the map [http://www.europetravel.gr/userfiles/image/Map%20of%20Medieval%20Rhodes%20Town.jpg] is pretty useful.

Food in Rhodes (I can't speak for Rhodes town) is variable and rarely the good old family greek cooking of yesteryear. Not a garlic or a charcoal grill in sight. I guess that's what most people want.

Supermarkets with good meat and veg etc are everywhere, some cheaper than others. Rhodes wine is cheap and OK (on the sweet side), and retsina always tastes better in greece (and is cheap and dry).

Faliraki, Greece
reviews: 39
1. Re: Rhodes driving and other comments

Did you eat outside of Pefkos ?

You will find good old fashioned Greek cooking on Rhodes

South England
2. Re: Rhodes driving and other comments

Not really, the odd lunch, which were (mostly) very much better, particularly if you avoided anything with tourists in. The local salad ingredients & dips made an early lunch at home very attractive.

The first person to set up a charcoal grill in pefkos will make $$$!

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
reviews: 81
3. Re: Rhodes driving and other comments

Wow, nowhere in Pefkos does charcoal grill? A bit late now but for anyone else reading, you'll find this in either Lindos or Lardos nearby.

Glad you had a great time anyway and I'd agree, you find some great lunch spots out and about. It's trying to find them again when the fun starts!

Wirral
reviews: 3
4. Re: Rhodes driving and other comments

Hey

Mary n Ginas fish restaurant, Enigma, Spitaki and Coralli, to name but a few, all offer genuine charcoal grilled fare. The staff at the Coralli were spit roasting a whole lamb at the entrance to the restaurant the other evening.

M

South England
5. Re: Rhodes driving and other comments

Coralli didn't when we were there last week, I looked round spitaki and they weren't. To be frank you should just need to follow your nose to find it, and I never smelled any grill round Pefkos. When I asked (actually in every Pefkos restaurant we ate in) they said either 'we have reached the electric age' or 'its bad for you, all the carcinogens' or something similar. Since we ate early (7.30-9.00) maybe we were too early, and we didn't check everywhere every evening, but the ones we ate in didn't when we were there. Nor round and about, our noses would have told us.

england
reviews: 27
6. Re: Rhodes driving and other comments

Great review Ozs just a shame you didn't use your car and venture out of Pefkos to eat as you would have Definately found the grill and family cooking you wanted. As has been said you would have only had to travel down the road to Lardos and you would have found exactly what you where looking for and no doubt have changed your mind.

One of the reasons I visit Rhodes every year is because of the food and the authentic family cooking you just need explore a bit. If you had visited Christos corner you would have been taken into the kitchen and shown that mornings catch or fresh meat for you to choose and then put on a grill to cook right in front of your eyes. Doesn't get much more authentic than that

Edited: 6:50 am, October 20, 2013
South England
7. Re: Rhodes driving and other comments

Addendum:

As I was on holiday and never drink and drive, only eateries nearby (easy walking distance) were visited for an evening meal (except Correlli because it was so well reviewed). There were a LOT nearby, but they all seemed much the same.

england
reviews: 27
8. Re: Rhodes driving and other comments

Totally agree I would never drink and drive either.

If you ever return to pefkos I would recommend you get a taxi to Lardos or Lindos would be worth the fare to experience some great tavernas although saying that I am not taking anything away from pefkos which has some excellent tavernas just feel Lardos and Lindos are more traditional

Wirral
9. Re: Rhodes driving and other comments

Hey

The better, more tradional, restaurants are on the outskirts of Pefkos, ie Kavos Mare (offers chargrill), Nikolas, Annixis and Coralli. Lardos is another good suggestion.

M

Wirral
10. Re: Rhodes driving and other comments

Hey

oops, traditional....

M