We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry - sleep or not?

Which Sifnos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sussex, United...
reviews: 76
Ferry - sleep or not?

Hi! My husband and I are visiting Sifnos soon, but we are making the journey in one day (eg flying into Athens very early in the morning) and catching the ferry in the afternoon. Does anyone know if we're likely to be able to doze off in the airline type seats on the ferry, and if you think not, would it be possible do you know, to upgrade to a cabin or something at the last minute or on board (we already got a travel agency to get us regular tickets). My husband is also flying in from Mexico the day before, so I reckon he's going to be exhausted, especially after very early start in London! Any advice greatly appreciated!

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
1. Re: Ferry - sleep or not?

If you can sleep on a plane, you will be able to sleep on a ferry - the conditions are very similar. Note that if you will be travelling on the Speedrunner, it does not have cabins. If on a conventional car ferry - I believe there may be an option to upgrade on board. I've seen people doing it but not on ferries operating on that route so I cannot be a hundred per cent sure. You may want to ask your travel agent.

Sussex, United...
2. Re: Ferry - sleep or not?

Thanks Ozzlem, I personally am spoilt and can only sleep in flat-bed business class these days ha! ha! We are taking conventional ferry and that's a good idea to check with the travel agent.

UK
reviews: 28
3. Re: Ferry - sleep or not?

Which ferry are you taking?

We are regular visitors to Sifnos and have booked cabins when we fly overnight and take the early morning ferry, Agios Georgios.

The double cabins have 2 single beds and a shower room with wc and wash basin.

We have booked both de luxe and standard cabins and it's probably not worth paying any extra for the "de luxe."

Not sure what the current prices are for cabins as in August this year we booked a hotel in Piraeus and took the early ferry, so we didn't need a cabin.

We always travel in first class it's only €6 more than the deck price.

In first class they have a couple of semi-open decks with comfy sofas and canvass sun beds so you can stretch out on these if you are lucky enough to bag one first. That said, it will probably be fairly quiet if you are travelling in September.

Athens, Greece
4. Re: Ferry - sleep or not?

To give you the most helpful advice, we really need more precise details about your travel arrangements. You don’t say when (ie date) you’ll be travelling, which ferry you’ve booked, etc. I’m surprised that although you’re arriving in Athens ‘’very early in the morning’’ you’re catching an afternoon ferry. I think the wait for the ferry could be more exhausting than the seating arrangements on board! But you’ve had some good advice already: I don’t think upgrading to a cabin will be difficult at this time of year, but the possibility of sofas and sunbeds also sounds inviting: I didn’t know about those!

Sunshine Coast
5. Re: Ferry - sleep or not?

Spend a night in Athens to destress then take a metro to the port in the morning.

Sussex, United...
6. Re: Ferry - sleep or not?

Thank you so much for all these tips. We are leaving very early from London in the morning to arrive in Athens about midday. So it's "do-able" to get the afternoon ferry (which apparently is the Adam. Korais). It's just that we do so much travelling anyway, we're likely to be knackered (probably fall asleep in any old corner in the event!). It's next week we're travelling, I think Tues or Weds, but have just arrived from New York, so not quite with it at the time if writing!!

UK
reviews: 28
7. Re: Ferry - sleep or not?

We travelled from Folegandros to Santorini on the Adam. Korais about this time last year. There was plenty of space available on board.

She has a large lounge in economy with plenty of comfy sofas which you can stretch out on.

Just found this which you might find interesting www.youtube.com/watch…

Sussex, United...
8. Re: Ferry - sleep or not?

Hey, that's great - it looks like a cruise liner (perhaps we'll end up in Santorini at this rate!!) oh, I think it'll be fine.

Athens, Greece
reviews: 19
9. Re: Ferry - sleep or not?

Definitely I would book a cabin. The ferries often are noisy in lounge areas.

Sussex, United...
10. Re: Ferry - sleep or not?

Yes, I think that is looking an increasingly good option, if we can upgrade at the last minute.

Get answers to your questions about Sifnos