We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - just back from week in Sifnos (sorry long)

Which Sifnos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colchester, United...
reviews: 12
Trip report - just back from week in Sifnos (sorry long)

Thanks for all the info before the holiday, we had an amazing time. A family of 4 (2 girls aged 13 and 11)

We ended up flying to athens and staying overnight in Pireaus at the Phidias Hotel, fab place, with free shuttle bus from bus stop and to the port - no bag carrying!

Got the Speedrunner 4 to Sifnos - nice boat, but only a tiny bit of outside space, we also managed to grab a table.

We stayed in Kamares, at the Margado hotel. This is the only hotel we could find with a pool in Kamares (one of my kids must haves) and it was brilliant - see main review I wil do. Kamares is a wonderful little resort, there is a main 'drag' of about 6 or 8 restaurants and cafes, right on the water, plus a couple of mini-markets and shops (including a lovely jewellery shop with a great owner, so friendly!) Then a great sandy beach with a couple of bars, including the legendary Old Captains bar. The beach was brilliant soft sand, shallow warm clear sea and a sunbed/beer with my name on it.

The first day we chilled on the beach, went for a walk to the otherside of the bay (Ag Marina) and then ate at Absinthe right on the beach. A lovely less traditional place, service was great, servings HUGE, and just a great start to the week!

On tuesday we managed to sleep, swim in the pool, and then just chilled out on the lovely beach. The best thing is we were able to relax so quickly, so often on holiday it takes days to reach a state of relaxation. By 5pm we had found ourselves at The Old Captains bar, where, with beers in hand (iced tea for the kids) watched the sun go down over the sea. It was the perfect time of yeear where the sunsets were spectacular as the sun set almost exactly across the beach, so you got every minute of beachtime.

That evening we hired a Jeep from 1st Moto or Protomoto right by the port. 25 euro a day. A real bargain (more later)

We ate at Da Claudio's that night - yummy Pizza, brilliant hostess in Monica, so kind, and friendly. They had run out of breadsticks, and 2 days later when my husband was walking past, Monica rushed out and gave him and my daughter a bag full of breadsticks! That is the sort of place this island is.

Having the Jeep was brilliant, on Wednesday we drove around teh island - starting with Heronisis, which is a pretty place at the top of the island. A lovely lunch again, just drinking in the view. We didn't swim here, but decided to check out Platys Yialos on the otherside of the island. I know a lot of people rave about this place and yes, nice beach, but very narrow, lots of bars and it seemed to be a purpose built 'resort'. Pretty but not our taste, amost too 'trendy' rather than relaxed. After an hour or two the kids wanted to go back to 'our beach', so back to kamares for the sunset and dinner at Simos. Very traditional greek taverna, on the water.

Thursday we wizzed off to Vathi, stopping en route at Agios Andreas. Amazing amazing place, an acropolis dating from 1300 BC. The views were spectacular too, well worth a visit.

Vathi is lovely, the Ellies resorts are barely visible unless you go to the left hand side of the beach - which is not the nicest part! However the restaurant - Manolis - was a bit of a highlight. Look for the place with teh huge outdoor clay oven. When the bill came it arrived with shots of some sort of greek digestive and baklava. Mmm.

After lunch we found the nice side of the beach beside the church, and sat under a tree, doing a bit of snorkling and trying to sum up the energy to move. We decided to visit Appollinia that evening, to have a wander around and perhaps check out the shops. It was very pretty, but the kids pocket money wasn't going far in the shops, so once again Kamares pulled us back! (a bit of a theme here)

Supper was Stavros Cafe and the BIGGEST waffles and ice cream - yes I was parent of the week,

Friday and the last day of the Jeep, so I made Chystiopigi a must do. So beautiful and serene, no one was around but us.

For lunch we went down to the beach below, a lovely place with tress to sit under, and a nice taverna. Hardly anyone around, a few hikers strolled along, but not many. After lunch we popped to Faros, well we had to try all the beaches! a quick dip, and off to Vathi (our 2nd favourite beach!) for one last swim. No suprise at 6pm it was back to Kamares to drop off the Jeep and watch the sunset again.

Although it sound like we never stayed still, the Jeep was brilliant as it allowed us freedom to see everything, but in the end Kamares was the perfect spot for us. So we spent the last 2 days not going anywhere.

Sifnos is the perfect greek island, beatuful, FANTASTIC food, friendly people and some (but not too many) tourists. Anyone thinking of going, should just go.

Paris
reviews: 1
11. Re: Trip report - just back from week in Sifnos (sorry long)

What a wonderful and perfect discription of a perfect island . We are here now & enjoying Kamares on most days - we always begin our day playing backgammon & having a couple of cuppaccinos at The Stavros Cafe. Evening comes & we decide on the many fabulous choices surrounding us . It's going to be hard to leave ....

Paris
reviews: 1
12. Re: Trip report - just back from week in Sifnos (sorry long)

What a wonderful and perfect discription of a perfect island . We are here now & enjoying Kamares on most days -Then drag ourselves away & explore the other beautiful beaches & ports ! We always begin our day playing backgammon & having a couple of cuppaccinos at The Stavros Cafe. Evening comes & we decide on the many fabulous choices surrounding us . It's going to be hard to leave ....

Manchester, United...
reviews: 15
13. Re: Trip report - just back from week in Sifnos (sorry long)

Been back from Sifnos just over a week. It was a perfect Greek holiday. My boyfriend and I stayed in Kamares for 2 weeks which was definitely the best place to stay in my opinion...Stunning beach, great bar in the Old Captain and a fantastic selection of tavernas all serving delicious food, the Italian restaurant was also lovely and provided a nice change from the traditional Greek fare. Careful of their chilli oil for the pizzas though, use it sparingly! It's hot!

Being 22, and 25 we really enjoyed Apollonia once it went dark, there was a fantastic selection of really cool bars playing great music. The shops in Apollonia were fab too and I treated myself to some nice new clothes.

I would say Sifnos was the perfect Greek island really. The distance between Kamares and Apollonia was ideal for having a choice of either at night. We hired a jeep and the island was really easy to get around and the roads felt a lot safter than some other Greek island's roads I've been on. All the places we visisted were fantastic! Especially loved Kastro and Faros, oh and Chrissopgi... in fact I loved it all!

The people were ever so friendly and the place has not been ruined by tourism. We stayed at the Simeon apartments, they were a lovely family and the view from our room was to die for!

I've been researching some other Greek islands to go to next year but I have a feeling Sifnos may well pull us back.

Sussex, United...
reviews: 79
14. Re: Trip report - just back from week in Sifnos (sorry long)

Oh all these reports are fantastic! Especially, obviously, Crunchie's. My husband and I are setting off for Sifnos next week, and we can't wait. The only problem will be going back. (nothing to do with cancelled ferries..... ha!). I haven't been to the Greek Islands for about 30 years, and I think a lot of them have changed beyond all recognition, but I think Sifnos will be very much like it was in the Cyclades all those years ago. Thanks for all the info everyone's posted - I am literally counting the days!!!

reviews: 8
15. Re: Trip report - just back from week in Sifnos (sorry long)

We have been to Sifnos twice and love it! We have stayed in Faros at the Thallatta Studios with a room and patio view of the sea.. Great island for hiking and we even ventured last summer on the 6-7 mile hike from Apollonia to Kamares. Renting a car is great because you and explore and hike all over the island.

16. Re: Trip report - just back from week in Sifnos (sorry long)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 29, 2013