We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experts--Tipping at restaurants and bars?

Which Santorini hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Station...
reviews: 10
Experts--Tipping at restaurants and bars?

Hi - I'll be in Santorini then Mykonos in 2 weeks (YEA!!) with my daughter. We were there last summer and were never sure what is the right amount to tip at dinner and for drinks. Is the tip included in the bill? I always feel I should leave 20% because thats what we do in New York but I don't know if I'm double tipping. Thanks everyone !

Cottage Grove...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
1. Re: Experts--Tipping at restaurants and bars?

Tipping in Greece is not an absolute requirement like it is in the States. There are plenty of places where the wait staff are never tipped and they don't expect to be. The best rule of thumb is to go with your feelings about the service you received. I think 10% would be the maximum necessary.

La Rochelle
reviews: 14
2. Re: Experts--Tipping at restaurants and bars?

10% is way too much. If you've had coffees/drinks, leave 50 cents. If you've had dinner at a taverna, leave a euro. Remember you're only tipping them for good service, not supplementing their salary, as you do in the States.

Thessaloniki, Greece
reviews: 90
3. Re: Experts--Tipping at restaurants and bars?

20% tip? No way!. Rounding up the bill is usually enough. For example, leave 25 Euros for a 23 Euro bill. 0.5 and 1 Euro suggested in a previous post are ridiculously small in my opinion...

La Rochelle
4. Re: Experts--Tipping at restaurants and bars?

No one's complained to me yet ;-)

I never used to leave more than 200 drachmas before the changeover to the euro, so I reckon a euro is plenty. Two euros is more than 500 drachmas - now *that's* a ridiculous tip IMO. But each to their own and all that...

Massachussetts
reviews: 76
5. Re: Experts--Tipping at restaurants and bars?

If you pay with a credit card...if they take it....some of the charge slips in Greece now have a place for tips...just like in the USA! It's a lot more difficult to ignore that space...when you are used to it!

La Rochelle
6. Re: Experts--Tipping at restaurants and bars?

It's dead easy if you're from England - we ignore them all the time ;-)

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 16
7. Re: Experts--Tipping at restaurants and bars?

Back to original question, yes there is an automatic 10% tip/service charge built in to the bill. Menus many years ago used to have two columns which showed this. Nowadays they do not. You should bear this in mind when tipping additional amounts.

8. Re: Experts--Tipping at restaurants and bars?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 14, 2009