We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are transportation needs different for 3 different islands?

Which Paros hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 5
Are transportation needs different for 3 different islands?

Staying 2 full days in Myconos, Paros and Santorini in first part of October. Is it better to use bus service on one, rent a car on the other, use taxi service in the third? What would be your preference?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
reviews: 41
1. Re: Are transportation needs different for 3 different islands?

Hi mariaeva,

and welcome to the forum.

This is all down to your own preferences of what to see and do, as well as where you will be staying on the islands. Please give us more information.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
2. Re: Are transportation needs different for 3 different islands?

As greek-traveller wrote, it depends upon what you want to do. If just to see the main sights, most are accessible by bus on all three islands. On the other hand, if you want to get off the beaten track, then a rental car would be necessary.

Buses run less frequently in October, with mid-day and evening service curtailed. Off season bus schedules are aimed toward locals, getting them to work or school in the morning, then back home in the afternoon.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
reviews: 39
3. Re: Are transportation needs different for 3 different islands?

Just a thought but transportation between the islands is quite time consuming and can easily eat up well over half a day by the time you leave your hotel wait for the ferry the trip and then finding a new hotel on the other end. So you really only have one full day and a bit on each island.

For what it is worth, you might want to consider dropping one island to give you more time to properly visit the other two.

San Francisco...
4. Re: Are transportation needs different for 3 different islands?

I will be spending three nights in Mykonos town, 3 nights in Paros Naoussa and 3 nights in Santorini (2 in Oia and the last one in Fira). I did think about the fact I might be "wasting time" on transferts (had planned on less nights originally). From Mykonos, I want to get to Delos. Outside of that I would like to do a combo of regular visitor spots but defitnitely get off the beaten paths too. Paros is large. Can one drive easily there? I felt Mykonos would be too difficult for that. Unfortunately no moped possible since they want a permit...Too bad. On another topic, is the first part of October all right for beaches and swimming still? Trying to figure out what priority to give to different activities.

High Wycombe
reviews: 11
5. Re: Are transportation needs different for 3 different islands?

Paros is very easy to drive and it is perfectly possible to drive round the whole island in 1 day. As others have said the buses will be more geared up for locals than tourists in early October.

High Wycombe
reviews: 11
6. Re: Are transportation needs different for 3 different islands?

Paros is very easy to drive and it is perfectly possible to drive round the whole island in 1 day. As others have said the buses will be more geared up for locals than tourists in early October.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
7. Re: Are transportation needs different for 3 different islands?

Hey and welcome mariaeva141:-) Make sure to get an Int'l Driver's permit..easily obtainlable from TripleA..it would also allow for a moped rental if interested;-) You will indeed find local bus service more minimal in Oct, but it's also a great time without the crowds! FWIW, would definitely look into the rental in Paros..some wonderful terrain..but then again, and IMO, a rental at all isles would give you max flexibility/freedom in moving around without being dependent on bus schedules;-) Have fun..and EnjOY!

San Francisco...
8. Re: Are transportation needs different for 3 different islands?

Thanks for your advice. I have also a French driver's license. Do I still need an Int'l one no matter what? I read infos saying that even for a moped I needed a special 2-wheel permit (even for less than 125cc) . Is this true?

Does anyone know if the acheological site near Akrotiri is open again to visitors?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
9. Re: Are transportation needs different for 3 different islands?

Hey again..and unfortunately, Akrotiri still remains closed! As far as the license, I only know about US driver's permits obtained here for int'l use (and not from me since I don't drive..but others I travel with)..they will certainly rent you a moped (and FWIW, they're way lower than 125cc..lol!! Most even lower than 100..some are as little as 50) Those at 125 are considered motorcycles;-) ..If you have a French driver's license you may be able to use that since it's EU..am sure someone in the know will kick in with specific info for you;-) Keep enjoyin'!

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
reviews: 8
10. Re: Are transportation needs different for 3 different islands?

I have hired cars in Greece with a UK driving licence, so I presume that it is the same with a driving licence for any country in the EU.

Get answers to your questions about Paros