We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which village in Naxos to visit?

Which Naxos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Which village in Naxos to visit?

Hi everyone! My friend and I are in Naxos at the moment and have time to visit one village but we're a bit confused because they all sound kind of similar. We are hoping you could tell us which one is most worth going to. We've heard good things about Apeiranthos, Filoti and Halki but can't pick. Thanks in advance!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
reviews: 24
1. Re: Which village in Naxos to visit?

Filoti and Halki are walking distance apart, so you could easily visit both of those in the same trip.

We didn't find any of the villages to be similar at all; each is unique and offers different sights and scenery. If you feel like looking at online photos to judge for yourself, here's a link to my Flickr collection of photos from Naxos last October: flickr.com/photos/…

There are pics of all three villages you mentioned as well as Koronos.

Edited: 6:46 pm, March 27, 2014
2. Re: Which village in Naxos to visit?

Thanks so much! Could I ask which one was your favourite? We're still a bit overwhelmed, though that's good to know about Filoti and Halki.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
reviews: 24
3. Re: Which village in Naxos to visit?

We enjoyed them all ... can't really pick a favourite because there were things we liked at each place that the others didn't have. You can't go wrong choosing any of them. Just be prepared for a LOT of stair climbing if you visit Filoti, Apiranthos or Koronos!

Washingon DC area
reviews: 5
4. Re: Which village in Naxos to visit?

I enjoyed all of them, though I still haven't gotten to Koronos. But if I had to choose one, I think I'd go for Apeiranathos. Just the fact that it's pretty much entirely constructed of local white marble is amazing. And it seemed to be a little bigger than Chalki and Filoti, so you could spend more time wandering around it.

One of the things about traveling to Greece is that personal experiences color my opinions. Filoti is one of my favorites, but probably only because when I was there I saw a couple young guys restoring an old house. Got to chatting with them, and they then took us around the town, showing us the oldest house in the village and pointing out the meat hooks on the front of the houses where the residents would hang their future dinners. And the hidden rooms where the Greeks would keep their animals from being taken by the Italians during WW2. If I hadn't had that little impromptu tour, I'd have thought Filoti a really nice town, but nothing special.

Edited: 7:49 pm, March 27, 2014
Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
reviews: 51
5. Re: Which village in Naxos to visit?

What a great story zakrosian. I must make an effort to visit some of these villages next time I'm on Naxos. I've been to Apollon on the local bus and passed through some of the villages but regrettably that's as far as it goes.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
reviews: 39
6. Re: Which village in Naxos to visit?

At Chalki you will find a walk built by the EU for the Olympics. It is primarily outside the town in the countryside and other small villages. You can easily spend three hours on this path.

Filtoti while not nearly as nice also holds a story for us. On our second trip to Naxos we took the bus to Filoti and spent a few hours just exploring the town. As we walked high up in the village we passed a balcony and heard a voice call out Lady. There was a very old woman in black with one tooth grinning down at us. She picked a flower from a pot and threw it to my wife, waved and turned away. What we and Zak experienced demonstrates Greek hospitality.

Lastly Aparanthos. This village has Venetian era ruins and many of these abandoned buildings are being restored. The streets are paved with marble. Here you can step back into the past. Choose one you won't regret it.

Here are images of Naxos Image 45 to 50 are near Chanki and 70 to 80 Aparanthos

flickr.com/photos/…

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
reviews: 418
7. Re: Which village in Naxos to visit?

If you are still there then Koronos is well worth a visit if you have a car

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
reviews: 41
8. Re: Which village in Naxos to visit?

Here is to give you an idea of Koronos:

http://tinyurl.com/lxnz7l

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
reviews: 418
9. Re: Which village in Naxos to visit?

Great photos - You capture the spirit and beauty of the place so well. Thanks for sharing them with us.

10. Re: Which village in Naxos to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 01, 2015