We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annie1128 & donnyb

Which Mykonos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 10
Annie1128 & donnyb

Hi Annie1128 & donnyb,

First of all, i just wanted to let you know that i really enjoy reading your postings. Thank you so much for the time you put into answering our questions.

I will be travelling to Greece in mid september with a friend (both female in our late 20s). We are flying into athens, going straight to mykonos for 4 nights, then to santorini for 4 nights. I had several questions if you wouldn't mind answering:

1. donnyb, i noticed you were from toronto...could you recommend a travel agency in toronto we could deal with. Or do you think we can book it all ourselves using the internet?

2. We would like to stay in a hotel close to mykonos town so we could walk to the hotel after going out at night. We would like to spend around 100-150 euros max. and have a balcony or terrace with a view of the town or the sea....I know it's a lot to ask for.

Some of the hotels i was thinking of were adonis (got great reviews on this site), pelecan hotel (recommended by annie1128...but no reviews...do you know anyone that has stayed there), can you think of any others? or which one of the two would you choose?

3. We want to take the hydrofoil/ fast ferry from mykonos to santorini. A travel agent quoted us a price of 59 euros. Is that the price of a oneway ticket? Do the fast ferries run daily in september? And do you still recommend we purchase the tickets when we arrive in mykonos?

Thank you in advance for your help. Can't wait to read about your trip Annie1128. Hope you have a wonderful time!

New York City
reviews: 5
1. Re: Annie1128 & donnyb

Thanks so much Nat! Wow, lots of ppl on the forum going in mid September!

About the Pelecan Hotel, they just did a renovation and I hear from ppl that live on the island that it has shaped up nicely. I have also heard positive things about Adonis as well. I don't think 150 E is an unreasonable amount per night to get what you are looking for in an accomodation. You can also try Rochari Villas, Little Rochari and Marina View Apartments. i think they should be in your range, if not, let me know and i will think of others.

The hydrofoil price they are quoting seems high. I think it is more like 35-40E (unless they have raised their prices). I would DEFINITELY wait to book. They still run daily in September so long as it is too windy. If the meltemi winds kick up too much, they start canceling the hydrofoils. You can always take the ferry or fly back to Athens to catch a flight to Santorini. But I think hydrofoil is the best way to get around the Cyclades.

let me know if you need anything else. Donny B should be back any day. He may still be in Santorini!!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
reviews: 24
2. Re: Annie1128 & donnyb

nat819, thanks very much for the feedback about the postings!

I think you probably could book your flights and hotels on your own, and perhaps even find some better deals by booking online than through a travel agent (since I've seen some hotels offer 10% or other discounts for online bookings). Our first trip to Greece was on one of the island-hopping travel packages offered by Nolitours (formerly known as World of Vacations), and to book packages with them you had to contact a travel agent. Last year we customized a Nolitours package so we had to use a travel agent for that, and this year we again booked our flights and some hotels through Nolitours so that meant using our travel agent once more. But since we wanted to go to Naxos this year -- and Nolitours no longer offers Naxos as one of the destinations in any of their itineraries -- we had to make arrangments for accommodations etc. on that island ourselves (and used the Internet for that).

Interestingly, our travel agent checked to see if she could find us better prices on flights to/from Athens than Nolitours offered; however, it turned out it would have cost hundreds of dollars more to fly with Olympic than we paid flying with Air Transat.

If you haven't already booked a flight, pick up a copy of the Nolitours "Glorious Greece" brochure to check out their airfares. If at that time you would like to speak to the travel agent we use, let me know and I can give you her contact information.

I agree with Annie that the ferry prices you were quoted seem unusually high. Was that quote per person or for both of you? Last year we paid 28 Euros per person for our highspeed Flyingcat 4 ferry trip from Mykonos to Santorini. We didn't travel directly from Mykonos to Santorini this year (since we went to Naxos from Mykonos), but I checked our ferry receipts and noticed that our fares from Athens to Mykonos were unchanged this year from last year (39.90 per person). If the Athens to Mykonos fares didn't change, I can't imagine the fares from Mykonos to Santorini would have increased so substantially (but I am not an expert on the ferry system and could well be wrong).

Toronto, Canada
3. Re: Annie1128 & donnyb

Thanks donnyb,

Since i wrote this post i have booked the entire vacation and have taken Annie1128's advice and waiting to buy the tickets for the ferry from mykonos to santorini when i arrive. And yes, they quoted me $85 can PER PERSON for that one-way trip.

I actually did the hellenic harmonies tour ( 4 islands) 6 years ago with world of vacations. I now find the prices much higher with nolitours. ...most probably because of the euro. This time i'm only going to 2 islands- mykonos and santorini, and spending more time in each island.

I went to a travel agency on the danforth, they booked the flight to athens for me on alitalia which was a couple hundred less than olympic airlines. They weren't able to reserve the hotels i had asked for, as those hotels don't deal with travel agencies. So i basically did the rest on my own...and of course with tripadvisor.

I'm note sure if you're still in greece, but i hope you are having/had a great time! Thanks again for your help!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
4. Re: Annie1128 & donnyb

nat819, unfortunately, i'm not still in Greece .... we flew back to Toronto on Monday. The vacation was wonderful and, even though we got to spend three full weeks in the islands, it wasn't long enough. I'll just have to try to make it through until this time next year to go back, I guess <sigh>

Glad to hear Alitalia had better fares. Next time I'm sure we won't be arranging our trip through Nolitours, either; as you noticed, they're expensive now, though it is largely due to the poor exchange rate for the CDN dollar as well as the additional fuel surcharges that have been built into the pricing.

I hope you'll post a report on your trip in the fall after you return; I'll look forward to hearing how your vacation goes!

Toronto, Canada
5. Re: Annie1128 & donnyb

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time. Any places you really enjoyed that you think we should visit??

I will definately post comments once i get back. Thanks again

eccleston
reviews: 4
6. Re: Annie1128 & donnyb

Very interesting reading through all this. We're going to Mykanos 23 June for two weeks. I quite fancy a trip to Santorini. Would you recommend this for a day or do you think it's too far for a day - perhaps we could stay over one night (it's our anniversary on 26 June). If we did, would it be poss to get accommodation when we land, will there be people advertising accommodation when we get off the boat? What do you think the average cost would be? we've never done anything like this before so would greatly appreciate your advice.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
7. Re: Annie1128 & donnyb

suggest, a day trip from Mykonos to Santorini wouldn't be feasible, since the ferry trips between the islands take several hours each way (if i recall correctly, it took between three and four hours on a highspeed catamaran, and a couple of hours longer on a slower ferry ship). And spending just one night on Santorini, in my opinion, would be too rushed (although a lot of people do visit the island for just one night, and cruise ship passengers often get only half a day to see Santorini).

Santorini is a very romantic spot with spectacular scenery and you'd enjoy celebrating your anniversary there a lot more if you gave yourself up to three nights on the island. Since you're going to be travelling to Mykonos for two weeks, why not re-allocate three nights out of that time for a Santorini visit?

Can't advise what an average hotel room price would be; there are uber-expensive hotels in Oia and Imerovigli and well as rooms at all different price points (as you will see if you scan the hotel listings on this site). There were people waiting at the docks when our ferry arrived, advertising rooms they were seeking to rent out, so that's certainly one option for you. I've never arranged accommodation that way, though, so I can't advise if it's a good way to find a hotel room.

eccleston
reviews: 4
8. Re: Annie1128 & donnyb

Many many thanks, perhaps we'll save Santorini for next year!

Toronto
9. Re: Annie1128 & donnyb

Thanks so much for all of the info on this forum. I just booked the Hellenic Harmonies Alpha for the end of July. I found the best price on Exitnow.ca, about 300.00$ cheaper than others.

I'm planning on maybe going to Ios while there.

Toronto
10. Re: Annie1128 & donnyb

Can you recommend any good particular sights, things to do in Ios, and in Greece in general, besides the historic sites ?