We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some great disappointment - Hotel Zorzis, Mykonos, Greece

Which Mykonos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Some great disappointment - Hotel Zorzis, Mykonos, Greece

This is not a complaint but rather an important yet sad observation/warning:

Upon arrival in Mykonos, I was approached by John (Greque/Australian: owner and manager of the Zorzis Hotel, 30 Nik. Kalogera Str, 22890 22167) who offered his hotel.

Right from the beginning, he was quite agressive and less than gracious in his approach saying that I would never find a place like his, saying most Hotels/Inn/Pensions on the Island were closed at the moment (which was true) but also very unclean and lacked hot water, etc.... obviously, I understood that to be his "sale's pitch" though not very kind to the island's other establishments.

I went along and visited Zorzis Hotel; true enough, the place was clean, very trendy with good facilies and well located (although there were three toilet water tank hidden behind plants in my room as well as only 3 channels worked well enough to actually "see and hear" what was playing); seeing that I was hesitant but also aware that it was low season (Feb 27th) "HE" himself choose to bring the price down from 45, then 40 and we concluded at 35Euros per night (no receipt given). He was VERY quick and efficient in taking my money: saying first that he had no money/change when I presented a 50Euro note (payment/deposit for the first night at 35Euros yet he had over an inch of bills in his hand), I reluctantly paid for 2nights (with 2 50Euros notes.... oups, he suddendly had change), under his constant pressure. He went on to say that I was very lucky to have the room cause a minute earlier, two japanese ladies had tried to take the room but "he had promised it to me" (in fact, I am quite confident to say (since I stayed there) that more then 60% of his rooms were unoccupied!!!);

of note: I met those two ladies on the ferry on the return trip and they denied ever being interested in Zorzis hotel but rather stayed at a more "welcoming place", a comment I also heard later from an older american couple.

After payment received, trying to get a hold of him was a challenge (he does not stay on site and his staff have VERY limited leeway in what services/help they can provide).

The following day though, being totally overcast/rainy plus the very uncomfortable attitude I received from Zorzis hotel's manager John (NOT the employees, in fact, they were quite nice) I decided to leave the island and return to Athens..... and it was downhill from then on:

John was nowhere to be found; I informed the confused staff and they called him; it took more then 2hrs before he finally came to the hotel. He sarcastically played upset and, in my personnal opinion, badly mistreated his personnel by yelling at them constantly in front of others.

In a very impolite manner, he through 30Euros back at me; his own personnel standing there were shocked and embarrased. I asked very politely that he gave me back the complete one night charge at 35Euros; his attitude was tremendously condescending and said that it now cost him more money to clean the sheets, this and that, more this and that, etc..., losing track with his own words....

My ferry was soon leaving (he knew that) and since I am not the fighting/arguing type (to my detriment but I don't believe in such attitude), I let the matter and the stupidity of the situation and left.

Sir/Mam, do not dismiss my concerns: the issue was/is NOT the 5Euros; rather, it is the manner in which I was treated which was THE worst since I left my home country which frankly, does not reflect well on Greece/Mykonos tourism.

I felt his approach has been totally disrespectful, tempermental, manipulative and surely deceptive.

I am sure some people have had a great stay there before and thus my comment/concern is one of many but I also feel important to mention the potential manipulation and deception he sometimes displays. Unfortunately, because of him, my stay in that beautiful island was most unpleasant.

New York City
reviews: 5
1. Re: Some great disappointment - Hotel Zorzis, Mykonos, Greece

I am so sorry about this terrible experience. But I am glad it does not reflect your opinion about the island or it's pppl. You will encounter ppl like this anywhere you go in the world and it's very unfortunate. I hope you will give Mykonos another chance someday.

Athens - Greece
2. Re: Some great disappointment - Hotel Zorzis, Mykonos, Greece

I am very sorry too about your experience michelenvoyage. Thank you very much for coming and reporting this to Trip Advisor as it can be very useful for future visitors of Mykonos.