We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help!

Which Mykonos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
essex
reviews: 1
Please help!

Me and my boyfriend really want to stay in Mykonos mid June for 2 weeks. We have a budget of around £600 each (or a bit more for half board/all inclusive) but are struggling to find places to stay.We want to be central or no more than a 20-25 minute walk away. The travel agents don't seem to use many operators to Mykonos and as a result the accomodation seems v. limited. We've seen all sorts of hotels we like on the internet but would really apprecaite some feedback as booking what you want through the travel agent seems to be difficult. Also, would it be reasonably easy for us to book a flight and hotel separately rather than a package? Can you fly straight to the island? How much is food/drink when you get there? Any reccomendations for 3-4 star hotels with a big pool? I know I'm asking a lot!

Thanks a lot

Zoe. x

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 13
1. Re: Please help!

Hi Zoe

For me it has always been cheaper booking the hotel and flights seperately. It's better because many tour operators charge you per person for the hotel room whereas doing it independently you pay per room and not per person.

Flights first. there are weekly flights from Gatwick and Manchester to the island. Excel and Astraeus usually alawys fly on a Friday and GB Airways (British Airways subsiduary) fly twice weekly, Thursdays and Sundays. The latter has been offering very very good prices for 2007 as it's their first year operating the route.

Is your £600 each for lodging only? If it is and you pool it that will give you £1200 which is about 1700 euros. For a 14 night stay thats about 120 euro a night.

Take a look at this site that has very many properties, their locations, pictures and descriptions and rates many of which are within your budget. Just a tip, if you find from that site a hotel that suits your budget etc try emailing the hotel directly (most have their own web-sites) as you may get your room even more cheaply:

mykonos-accommodation.com/mykonos-accommodat…

Any more questions, just ask!

Jon

Lux
2. Re: Please help!

Getting during the season equivalent rooms cheaper than a big touroperator is an illusion.

If you want to save money book via the biggest TO you can find.

With a package comes a contract and an insurance, which give you more security.

And mykonos-accommodation is far from being cheap.

H.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 13
3. Re: Please help!

Sorry Harvey, I completely disagree.

I can of course only speak personally, but booking flights and hotels independently, I found it a LOT cheaper. Many others here have too. An an illusion it was not.

I cannot speak for tour operators in your country but in the UK they normally charge per person for a room. Add their flight price and you will pay an awful lot more. I've used a tour operator then regretted I had, after I found it so much cheaper doing it independently. I'm from the UK as is Zoe - I've done it, she hasn't ....yet. I can only offer information as I found it and what she will too should she choose a tour operator.

For example, Kosmar one of largest UK operators to Mykonos expect their customers to pay locally for air conditioning and safety deposit facilites. Add that to the total cost and see your bill rise.

Take note that I did not recommend using mykonos-accommodation to book the lodging because I know they are expensive. They charge an up front cost of usually 30% then about 8 weeks before arriving their customers have to pay the remainder. What I DID say was to look at the site to get an idea of accommodation available then find the lodging's own website to book as it will probably be cheaper.

Lastly. Insurance? Again in the UK folks pay higher prices for insurance if taken through a tour operator. Compare the same cover with that from independent insurer not affilated to any tour operator and you will pay a lot less. Been there, have the t-shirt and it won't happen again.

Regards

Jon

Mykonos Greece
reviews: 1
4. Re: Please help!

Hello

I absolutely agree with Jon. With that kind of money you can easily find accomodation direct with hotels, where transfers to and from the hotels are provided.

Bristol
reviews: 26
5. Re: Please help!

HI

We have booked to go to Mykonos at the end of May and initally tried to book our trip independently.

However, to my surprise, (as I usually find it cheaper independently) it actually turned out to be cheaper booking through a tour operator (Olympic holidays).

Cheers

Sussex, England
reviews: 128
6. Re: Please help!

I suppose it can be luck of the draw. We have booked flights (GB Airways) and hotel separately. For our choice of hotel (Petasos Beach), no tour operator could match what we're paying. An advantage of dealing directly with the hotel is that you can more easily discuss getting the best possible room.

Uk
7. Re: Please help!

have a look at villa konstantin, they are putting in a BRAND new pool, i often stay there. Sharon and Dimitri are lovely and they will pick you and drop you fromport/airport free of charge. They will also answer any queries you may have. Or Hotel tagoo....also near town.

8. Re: Please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, August 30, 2009