We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Katapola vs Egiali

Which Amorgos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nc usa
reviews: 21
Katapola vs Egiali

We're planning on going to Amorgos this June and are trying to decide which town to stay in. I've seen posts saying that Egiali is nicer, but it seems much more touristy. What is Katapola like? Or are there other towns on the island that we might like even better?

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
reviews: 23
1. Re: Katapola vs Egiali

Personally, I prefer Katapola but wouldn't fall out with anyone who advocated Egiali.

Reasons for preferring Katapola:

Beautiful setting in a horseshoe bay. Very pretty at night.

More convenient for Hora and the Hozoviotissa Monastery.

All round nice vibe.

More ferries.

Reasons for preferring Aegiali:

Nicer town beach

Good and not-too-strenuous walking in the area.

That's about it. Both have good quality accommodation and decent tavernas.

If you're planning on spending more than a few days on the island, why not split your time between the two villages?

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 16
2. Re: Katapola vs Egiali

I would entirely agree with the previous posting. I split time by staying both in Katapola and Egiali given enough time, the last time 2008 just stayed in Egiali enroute to the smaller Cyclades.

I would also mention Chora as the least touristy place, there is a small number of rooms there. Perhaps too quiet and free of tourists...

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
3. Re: Katapola vs Egiali

BTW - my avatar is a photo taken in Hora.

nc usa
4. Re: Katapola vs Egiali

Thanks for the advice-It sounds like Katapola is more what we would want. Is there any way to see the avatars larger without it being really blurry?

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
5. Re: Katapola vs Egiali

Unfortunately not but I got this from Hora Amorgos Google images taken from the same spot:

thegreektravel.com/amorgos/three-churches.jpg

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 8
6. Re: Katapola vs Egiali

There are really only five places to stay on Amorgos. Aigiali, Tholaria, Langada, Katopola or the Chora.

I prefer to stay in Aigiali. Mainly it is because of the easy walking to the other nearby villages of Tholaria & Langada & Potamos. Also the beatiful panoramas one can see in that area. The main beach is better than at Katapola & the smaller cove beaches are nice too.

There are also bus connections to the two villages as well as connections to Chora & Katapola.

Kataploa has a greater choice of restaurants & rooms but unless you take the bus to Chora you have to walk a very long way up sa steep incline to get to & see anywhere else.

As it is your first trip to Amorgos you could always stay in your port of arrival (Aigiali or Katapola) for the first couple of days & vistit the other villages to see if it would be worth the effort to move house for the rest of your stay.

Athens, Greece
reviews: 1
7. Re: Katapola vs Egiali

My preference is Aegiali, a quieter port, sparesly occupied, wonderfully located between 2 picturesque villages, Tholaria and Lanagda, offers great sunsets from the traditional village Ano Potamos, which is actually its extension [donkeys are still used for transport] and is well placed in terms of beaches, offering many options {3 beaches across the bay of Aegiali} plus Nikouria island {3 more beaches} nearby. Chora is 15 kms away approx [as is the Monastery Hozoviotissa} connected with one main, good road, approx a 30 min drive,

in fact there is just one main road linking north to south, 35 kms away and only 3 bus routes. Distances are quite minimal and limited.

Some accommodation options,

www.uranos.gr

www.yperia.com

poseidon stds, tel 22850/73453

Christina pension, tel 22850/73236

this is a good site for research,

www.aegialis.com

www.amorgos.net

Katapola is a busier port, Martezi or Maltezi as it is also referred, is a good beach nearby, although accessible only via water taxis. Certainly more convenient to Chora only 6 kms away, although this shouldn't be the decisive factor . Katapola imo is less picturesque, although it just comes down to a matter of opinion,I guess

both sites above have photo galleries,so you can get an idea,

nc usa
8. Re: Katapola vs Egiali

Thanks for the links! Now we're going to have trouble deciding- they both look good to me.

Dunfermline, United...
reviews: 2
9. Re: Katapola vs Egiali

Hi Mitsa

I can only repeat what has already been said - if you have time try a few days in both Egiali and Katapola. I spent a couple of days in both back in May 2007. Arrived in Katapola on the "Express Skopelitis" with nothing booked and was quickly offered a room at the far side of the bay. There are a few tavernas (Vintzentzos is very good) and bars there with good food and fantastic views across the bay to the "main" part of the village.

Easy access from Katapola by bus to the Monastery - an amazing place built into the cliffs. Hora is also well worth exploring. From Hora you could walk to the monastery (then maybe get the bus back up the steep hill - as I did). Or even walk along the spine of the island to Egiali - but that's a long, hot walk.

Egiali has the better beach and a good selection of tavernas (esp Koralli) and bars for viewing the sunsets. There some lovely walking opportunities to/from the villages of Tholaria and Lagadha (excellent taverna in the middle of Lagadha - unfortunately I didn't note its name!)

Athens, Greece
reviews: 1
10. Re: Katapola vs Egiali

Nikos taverna in Langada is probably the one you mean,