We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birais studios

Which Rethymnon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
reviews: 8
Birais studios

H i , has anyone stayed at the Birais studios on the outskirts of Rethymnon ? I have seen them advertised on various travel sites but have not been able to find any reviews. Any information would be appreciated,

11 replies to this topic
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 61
1. Re: Birais studios

Can't help with reviews, but it appears there is a restaurant at the same location, which is pretty highly thought of (and confusingly has now changed its name):

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189421-…

Leeds, United...
2. Re: Birais studios

Hi Steve , thankyou for your reply . The Birais does look quite nice , only small but that is what we prefer when booking studios. Is there any information you can give me about the location , i know its directly on the beach which we like , Do you know how busy the area is ? We like to eat out at night in the tavernas but we are not into areas full of kareoke bars and clubs like Malia for example , We stayed in Platanes once but that was over 20yrs ago and more recently in stalis and Aghia Marina , are there any other regions in Crete that you would compare this area to ? thanyou again for your reply.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
3. Re: Birais studios

A bit of detective work on Google earth suggests to me that it is next door to, and in between, Theo Hotel and Poseidon hotel, on the seafront road about 500m east of the main breakwater/marina at the eastern edge of Rethymnon harbour. In my mind that is an ideal postion for access to the town, but it won't be a quiet location. Rethymnon is a lovely town, I very much doubt that there will be any karaoke bars or clubs in the sense you are talking about, though there will be plenty of places suited to tourists and locals alike, and of course hundreds of tavernas. The beach in that area is pretty large as well. I don't know anything at all about the apartments, but one thing I would say is that if it is a small place, it may not have a pool.

I first stayed in Rethymnon town about 18 years ago, and several times in Platanes over the years. Last year we went to Rethymnon for the day, went on the beach a bit further east from where this is, I walked into town and it was just as it has always been - a lovely, busy vibrant place with loads going on, and of course the lovely old town as well.

Hopefully gerlion, a Crete DE who lives in Rethymnon, will see this and be able to give you some more info.

Rethymnon is different to all the other places you mention because of course it is a real working town as well as a resort. I've stayed in all the places you mention, and would go back to most of them in a heartbeat, but to me Rethymnon town beats them all.

Edited: 3:03 pm, December 04, 2013
Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 5
4. Re: Birais studios

Hi there Dianne and Steeve.

Birais studios are not in the outskirts of Rethymnon, it is quite central I can say. The beach is footsteps away and has excellent proximity to the old town, as you don't have to take a taxi to get back. It's about 500m away. I have no personal opinion of the studios. I know very well the Theo Beach which is right next door which has very good quite spacy rooms and it was recently renovated. In case you want you can ask if they have a room not facing the beach road, but the back street, if of course sea view is not important. I think though that they only have sea view rooms.

Now about the noise. It is the beach front and cars & all the time or even young kids show off speeding with their motorbikes. It can be a problem, but I would suggest a 4th floor room or shut down the balcony door and switch on the A/C. It also depends on how light is your sleep.

There is surely a hotel (Porto Rethymno) at about 20 meters away that once a week hosts a band playing live Greek music (no karaoke) untill not too late. I think a bit further away there is a restaurant playing live music, but not much loud, nothing to worry about them.

Steeve thank you for your preferance of my hometown :o)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
5. Re: Birais studios

That's no problem gerlion :o)

Rethymnon will always have a particular place in my heart, as it was the first place I ever stayed anywhere in Greece - at camping Elizabeth in Missiria, in August 1977. But sentimentality apart, it is a lovely place.

Edited: 7:38 pm, December 04, 2013
Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
6. Re: Birais studios

Wow Steeve! 1977? There must have been only a handfull of hotels back then!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
7. Re: Birais studios

gerlion, I'm sorry to say that I can't really remember, but it was certainly on the 'must-see' list even then, which is why I went there straight from Heraklion - on a bus which had a ladder up to the roof for luggage! It was the first time I had been anywhere really hot, and I found the first sight of Heraklion town really exciting, if a little chaotic!

I was on a strict budget, camping, hitch-hiking some of the time, only eating out a few times, and stayed for a few nights in Rethymnon, then to an unofficial campsite near a taverna and lovely beach about a mile west of Chana harbour, then back to Rethymnon, then to Hersonissos (caravan camping, still there now). It was on the bus back to Heraklion, when trying to read the newspaper over the shoulder of the French lady sitting in front, that I found out that Elvis Presley had died!!

Dianne, I know this doesn't help your search for information, sorry for the slight digression!

Edited: 5:15 am, December 05, 2013
Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
8. Re: Birais studios

Very interesting Steeve, I was very very young back then, I can hardly remember myself anything too. What I remember though is that the locals called the tourists "snails" as the most of them carried their "house" in the backpack. It was an odd view, at that time, none was used to it. :o)

Oh yes sorry about it Dianne! :o)

Leeds, United...
9. Re: Birais studios

Hi Steve , Hi Gerlion , I have enjoyed reading your comments .I was in Benidorm in 1977 when Elvis Presley died , this was when Benidorm was Spanish and not a neon Blackpool . Anyway back to Crete . I am still drawn to Rethymnon , the fact that it is a working town is not a nagative , i love the old streets and the history of Crete and its people. Its not the noise of life that i try to avoid , its the noise of the idiots that give the British a bad reputation. We have been to Chania about 5yrs ago . would you say Chania

and Rethymnon have a similar atmosphere ? Thanks again for your replys.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
10. Re: Birais studios

Yes, broadly similar. Chania is a lot bigger and has the big harbour area, which Rethymnon doesn't really have - it does have a small inner harbour lined with tavernas but not as nice as Chania IMO. They both have an old town, and in many cases you wouldn't be able to say which was which. Rethymnon has a continuous beach running for miles east of the town. It also has a very large fort, which is a focal point to the west of the harbour.

There will definitely be no 'idiots' there, so no need to worry about that!

I have 7 photos of Rethymnon town taken last in August last year, starting here:

http://tinyurl.com/qdjhgyk

Reply to: Birais studios
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted