We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samaria gorge from Rethymnon?

Which Rethymnon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cumbria
reviews: 3
Samaria gorge from Rethymnon?

I am planning on going to Crete in May and am undecided whether to go to Chania or Rethymnon. One of the reasons for our trip is to visit the Samaria gorge. I have found a lovely hotel in Rethymnon and it looks like a lovely city to visit with lots of things to see but I'm worried it will be too difficult to get to the gorge from there. Any advice please?

14 replies to this topic
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 54
1. Re: Samaria gorge from Rethymnon?

There will be organised trips available, just check out the travel shops when you get there. Of course it is a bit further from Rethymnon to the start of the gorge, but coming back from Chora Sfakion it's more or less exactly the same distance to Chania and Rethymnon.

I'm not sure when in May you're going, but bear in mind that sometimes the gorge is closed in very early May.

cumbria
reviews: 3
2. Re: Samaria gorge from Rethymnon?

Thanks, we re going at the end of May so hopefully it will be open.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 54
3. Re: Samaria gorge from Rethymnon?

Yes, it will definitely be open then.

Rethymnon, Greece
4. Re: Samaria gorge from Rethymnon?

One of the local bus tour operators is http://www.kladostravel.gr/ They are based in Rethymno.

Tickets for their trips are sold at many places. Price should be around 32e

I think departure time from Rethymno to Samaria is around 05:30-06:00, so its a early bird trip.

This year in May, the average temperature at Samaria was 16.2'c and it had 5 days of rain over 2mm.

Be aware that it can be more then 5'c colder up at the start of Samaria then in Rethymno.

Depending on what you would like to see, both Rethymno and Chania are nice places to start trips from.

Both municipalities contain enough to entertain a large variety of interests.

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
reviews: 102
5. Re: Samaria gorge from Rethymnon?

Hi there

If my main reason for traveling to Crete was to walk the Samaria gorge I would stay definitely stay in Chania instead of Rethymnon, you must be able to find a lovely hotel in Chania, its such a beautiful town, and has so much to offer too. If you post your requirements I am sure you will get lots of recommendations :-)

London, United...
reviews: 8
6. Re: Samaria gorge from Rethymnon?

I agree, and for all the reasons MG100 gives you. Unless you have a particular reason for staying in Rethymnon, you would indeed do better to stay in Chania. It isn't difficult to get to the gorge from Rethymnon - but it's easier from Chania, and you won't have to get out of bed quite so early.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 5
7. Re: Samaria gorge from Rethymnon?

I could agree with MG and Alabastron over the matter staying in Chania or Rethymnon, for the years before 2004. But there have been many renovation of many places of Rethymnon since that year that gave the town a completely different look. It became more beautiful, and practical, with new sqares, pedestrianised roads, bicycle lanes etc.

I think it definitely worths visiting.

Edited: 12:39 pm, December 03, 2013
London, United...
8. Re: Samaria gorge from Rethymnon?

Gerlion, I visited Rethymnon several times before 2004, and always thought it was beautiful! I haven't been since, but will take your word for it that it is now even more beautiful. I didn't mean to imply that it isn't, and I'm sure MG didn't either. It just seems to make more sense for the OP to stay in (the equally beautiful) Chania if the Samaria Gorge is a priority.

Edited: 6:20 pm, December 03, 2013
Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 5
9. Re: Samaria gorge from Rethymnon?

I know you're not imlying anything, everybody has his/her own preferences. Of course in matters of distance Chania is closer, but an hour more isn't a big deal in my opinion.

Don't take my word for it Alabastron, just take the bus to see it for yourself. :o)

London, United...
10. Re: Samaria gorge from Rethymnon?

I'd take your word for anything, Gerlion, and I like the buses. But I think I'd rather have the extra hour in bed. :0)

Reply to: Samaria gorge from Rethymnon?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted