We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arkadi by Bus

Which Rethymnon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, Greece
reviews: 1
Arkadi by Bus

I want to visit Arkadi Monasteri from Rethymno and since I have no car I called a Taxi Co. and they quoted me around 50 euro return trip.

The KTEL has bus leaving for Arkadi at 10:30 and return at 12:00. Do you know how long it takes to get there and how far is the Bus stop from the monasteri? Is it easy to walk it?

Thank you

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 5
1. Re: Arkadi by Bus

Hi

The bus drops you off right at the monastery and it pick you up from the same place again. It's about 30 minutes drive, from the bus station of Rethymnon

There is also another option to the monastery, by a yellow train but it would cost you 16 euros/person.

Devizes, United...
reviews: 309
2. Re: Arkadi by Bus

Hi there

There's a later bus back at 4pm, if you come back on the midday one, you'll have scarcely any time at Arkadi as the ride there takes about 30-40 minutes. The road from Rethymno passes right by the side of the monastery.

Edited: 5:52 am, August 25, 2013
Athens, Greece
3. Re: Arkadi by Bus

Thank you both, very much.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Barb

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 10
4. Re: Arkadi by Bus

Arkadi needs time to absorb it, so please do take the later bus back. You won't regret the extra time spent there: it is a very evocative, moving place.

Athens, Greece
5. Re: Arkadi by Bus

Hi again Alabastron

Will do

Barb

Athens, Greece
6. Re: Arkadi by Bus

I am writing to thank all of you, helping me plan my trip. Crete is fabulous and I did have a great time.

I also want to mention that as for Arkadi monastery, I did take the 10:30 bus and I returned on the 12:00. As beautiful and serene as it is, 5 whole hours at this place is way too long. You see, the nearest small village Amnatos is over 5 kilometers away, so you can't even walk there to spend some time. So, myself as well as other tourists riding the same bus, settled for the 50 minute visit which is enough time to look around, take photos and visit the very small museum..... Can't have everything :)))

Surbiton
reviews: 51
7. Re: Arkadi by Bus

We've been to Arkadi at least three times by bus, and in every case we found that the length of time there (about 45 minutes) was adequate. About 30 minutes to see everything in the Monastery, 5 minutes to the cafe for the loo, and 5 minutes up the steps to see the skulls.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 10
8. Re: Arkadi by Bus

As I said in August, Arkadi needs time to absorb it, and I'll stand by that just in case anyone else is planning a trip and wondering how much time to allow. I suppose it depends on how interested you are in Cretan history, but even if your level of interest is low, Arkadi is one of the most evocative and powerful places in Crete. You're not just looking at a tourist attraction, a "sight". It's not just any old monastery. It's the site of the most heroic act of the Cretan resistance to the Turks, which took place on 8 November 1866, and where hundreds of people lost their lives. (The anniversary celebrations are tomorrow!)

I'm not saying that you can't walk around the buildings and grounds in 45 minutes. But for anyone interested in the history of that period of Cretan history, to explore it anywhere near fully, to take in the pictures, the writings, above all the atmosphere of the place, and to reflect on what happened there, really does need longer.

Athens, Greece
9. Re: Arkadi by Bus

None of what you say justifies a 5 hour stay at the place. Not even 2 hours. Yes, it would be nice if one had 30 min. more to enjoy, but we are talking about people depending on public transport. Besides, this is one of the small monasteries if you remember. One would go nuts stranded there, in the middle of nowhere for 5 hours waiting for the next bus. That's all we're saying.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 61
10. Re: Arkadi by Bus

An alternative, for anyone interested (probably no-one!) is to get a bus up from Rethymnon early in the morning to Thronos and walk through the hills to Arkadi. Depending on the bus times and how quickly you walk, you should be able to get a happy medium between rushing it and having 5 hours, which I also think is too long. Then get the bus back to Rethymnon.

That's the way we did it the first time we went, when we were child-free of course!