We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sat Nav on Crete?

Which Rethymnon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Yorkshire...
reviews: 32
Sat Nav on Crete?

Hello TP advisers. Thanks in advance for your help.

Having been to a few places in Greece, we actually love the inaccuracies, entertainment and excitement by following the map provided by the car hire company!

However, on arrival it's nice to find the accommodation easily when still getting used to the hire car, remembering which side of the road etc. We've been to Crete before and know the roads on the whole are very good, but having recently bought a Garmin sat nav with Europe maps, what do you think my chances are of finding our holiday let in Roussospiti in the Rethymnon area from Heraklion airport on arrival?

Shall I leave it at home, or will it help do you think?

Thanks again

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 10
1. Re: Sat Nav on Crete?

This is a completely uneducated guess, but I'd leave it at home. It's almost bound to lead you astray, in the endearing way of satnavs when they're on unfamiliar ground, so you'll probably find your new home more easily without it than with it. Roussospiti will be on the map (buy a decent one in the uk before you go: don't rely on the one that comes with the car) and once you get there, if the directions you've been given aren't entirely clear, just ask any local person.

See

http://travel.stanfords.co.uk/search?w=maps+of+Crete

I'd buy the Harms Verlag 1:100,000 touring map of Western Crete: good scale for finding things while driving, and good enough for a wide selection of walks.

Whatever you decide, about satnav or maps, have a good time.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 5
2. Re: Sat Nav on Crete?

Hi

I am using the Navigon on my iphone which uses the Garmin engine. Roussospiti is on the map. I saw the that is shows the right way. Just search for Roussospiti when it's asking you for "city". I mean don't first search for Rethymnon and then Roussospiti, just directly Roussospiti.

I have used about 5 different GPS programms but Navigon was the best. The only drawback is that it doesn't have all the villages (!!) as strange as it sounds! Especially little villages. Other than that it navigates you very well.

It will find Roussospiti but when you get there better ask a local where exactly is your place.

I'm a fan of technology and I'd recommend you to take it with you. A map requires your co-driver willing and able to read the map and give you directions. Sometimes women (if you're coming with a lady) lack that capability. :-)

West Yorkshire...
reviews: 32
3. Re: Sat Nav on Crete?

Tee hee!

Thanks to both.

I am the "lady" who is actually much better with a map than my lovely other blokey half!. No offence would ever be taken, don't worry. I'm a medical rep who drives for a living and rarely uses GPS, I just kind of know where I'm going.

I find those cartoon style maps entertaining and when I say "Turn left now" and my OH says, but surely this is someone's drive or a cart track, yet turns out to be the correct main trunk road to where we were heading happens frequently and is fine when we are just ambling about.

It was just our arrival I wondered about, so if Roussospiti village is there on Garmin, we might take it, just to get to the villa on day one, and after that, leave it in the villa and have fun!

Thanks again.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 10
4. Re: Sat Nav on Crete?

>Sometimes women (if you're coming with a lady) lack that capability. :-)<

Wow, Gerlion. It would take me an hour to deconstruct that statement and all the assumptions it contains!

>I am the "lady" who is actually much better with a map than my lovely other blokey half!<

So am I, fiznil, so am I. (Gerlion is now hanging head in profound shame, profuse apologies brewing...)

Anyway. Bring the satnav for the fun of it, and have fun finding Roussospiti and the villa. And get that good map so you can have more fun navigating once you're settled and out exploring.

And if you use the satnav and it takes you up someone's drive, the chances are you'll be invited in for raki and a snack.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway
reviews: 146
5. Re: Sat Nav on Crete?

Why do you buy a sat-nav if you dont want to use it ? I think people who are reluctant to using a sat-nav have never used one, or haven't learned how to use it. I always bring my Garmin if I am planning to rent a car, in any country in Europe. During one month of driving around Crete a year ago it was of great help. Not least if I had driven "out in the blue", and needed help in finding back again. The Garmin always finds a way out of it. In addition it calculates the time of arrival, acts as a compass, shows the time, shows the speed and speed limits and much more. But be sure you have the map of Greece. "Europe-map" may often means Europe-West, which does not include Greece. And be sure to have a paper-map to get the overview, and as a back-up

Somerset
reviews: 14
6. Re: Sat Nav on Crete?

We have a Garmin SatNav which we always take to Crete and find very useful. But make sure that it is always set on 'quickest route' and not 'shortest route' or it will take you along some pretty hairy dirt tracks, we have had some interesting journeys to say the least :-)

Mestre, Italy
reviews: 40
7. Re: Sat Nav on Crete?

I used always Nokia Drive and never got lost. If you already know where to go, insert the gps coordinates instead of the address. Many places have no numbers or the map is not accurate enough for small villages.

Maryland
reviews: 50
8. Re: Sat Nav on Crete?

Hi fiznlil, this topic was also discussed in another post: tripadvisor.com/…51212091. Enjoy your trip!

Crete
9. Re: Sat Nav on Crete?

We have a Tomtom which we brought with us when we came to live in Crete 3 years ago. I don't know about Garmin, but with Tomtom, the Europe maps only covered mainland Greece & not the islands. We had to download the Greek Islands maps (& pay extra) to be covered for Crete. So it's probably a good idea to check yours,just to make sure it's got Crete maps on it.

It has proved very useful & we still use it quite a lot, although we know our way around pretty well now.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 5
10. Re: Sat Nav on Crete?

Well I made there an assumption that you were a man which is was wrong. Furthermore I only stated what the statistic say: men have better orientation capabilities than women. All the women I had as co drivers, were terrible navigators! No offence meant and none was taken as fiznlil said! :-).

There nothing to decipher in my words ( naughty minded Alabastron :-)) I'm neither a racist nor a sexist :-)