We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A walk at the city of Heraklion

Which Heraklion hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, Greece
reviews: 2

. heraklion.gr/en/…sight-seeing.html .

Enjoy :-)

London, United...
reviews: 8
1. Re: A walk at the city of Heraklion

Lovely article, Aldro: thanks for sharing it. Maybe it will encourage more people to visit and realise what a lot Heraklion has to offer.

Athens, Greece
2. Re: A walk at the city of Heraklion

Thank you very much for the comment Alabastron

Some videos and photos also :-)

. http://goo.gl/TAfGw .

. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnpqSr2eWxsfeature=player_embedded#! .

. www.youtube.com/watch… .

. www.youtube.com/watch… .

Edited: 11:26 am, March 04, 2013
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 54
3. Re: A walk at the city of Heraklion

Yes, reading it I could just imagine walking up 25 August St towards the square, and turning round to look down to the lovely blue sea :)

Saudi Arabia
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
reviews: 21
4. Re: A walk at the city of Heraklion

Thanks Aldro,

An interesting link about a great city.

Devizes, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 310
5. Re: A walk at the city of Heraklion

Many thanks Aldro, my favourite town in Crete and I can't wait to be back later this year.

It is a shame that so many visitors to Crete dismiss it as being "nosiy, dusty and full of traffic" before they've even set foot on the streets. I hope your article will persuade them to alter their opinions...;0)

Athens, Greece
6. Re: A walk at the city of Heraklion

Thank you steve_p53 ,AjarnAndy and GBfromDevizes for your comments.I appreciate them :-)

Skipton, United...
reviews: 1
7. Re: A walk at the city of Heraklion

Thanks for a great article. The notion that heraklion is a dusty noisy city is now well outdated and people who state this base this on outdated guidebooks. Many good things have happened to Heraklion over the last few years making it a surprisingly smart city for shopping, great for cafe culture, lots of history accessible on foot, an amazing culinary scene and exciting cultural events. Heraklion should not be missed when visiting Crete. Find out more on the Uncover heraklion city guide FREE from the AppStore.

Devizes, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 310
8. Re: A walk at the city of Heraklion

The thing is moterang, there are just two camps when it comes to Iraklion, those who love it and those who don't. There must be many travellers for whom their only experience of Iraklion is taking the bus to Knossos and seeing it wind its way through noisy, traffic clogged streets as it fights its way out of town. These people then base their view on the entire city on that one 25 or 30 minute ride. They see office blocks, concrete apartment buildings and sprawling suburbs and assume that that is all the city can offer.

I totally agree with your description of the city, it is smart, vibrant and very historic, but of course, so many visitors, who might be on a cruise stop over, never venture off the beaten track. Even the June 2010 edition of the RG to Crete isn't overly complimentary about the city - it does make you wonder whether the author has even set foot in it

Edited: 10:04 am, March 05, 2013
scotland
reviews: 19
9. Re: A walk at the city of Heraklion

Planning to visit Heraklion from Gouves. I have just made a posting to enquire about the local buses and have just now found your interesting article on the city. Thank you for the information.

Athens, Greece
10. Re: A walk at the city of Heraklion

You're welcome ScotlandMarion :-)

.Maybe this will interest you also

. history.heraklion.gr/index.php… .