We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is Heraklion from Rethymnon

Which Heraklion hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ft McMjurray
reviews: 13
How far is Heraklion from Rethymnon

Not sure wheather to stay in Heraklion or in Heraklion. Want to see the history site and area. Knosis Arch sites, Also the Capital of Heraklion is it close by since I read there are wineries in the area also. We would like to see the museums etc in the Henaklion area, but if we had a car which area would be more centeral. I heard that parking is a challenge.

Crete, Greece
reviews: 27
1. Re: How far is Heraklion from Rethymnon

Herklion is about a 30/45 mins drive away from Rethymnon.There are plenty of car parks in Heraklion around the museums. rethymnon is very pretty with a beach and a nice harbour area, and from there you are well sited to go and see Chania, Matala, samaria gorge, Heraklion and the wineries. I wouldn't stay in Heraklion itself. If you wanted to see more of the east coast eg Aghios Nikolaos and the Lassithi Plateau area, then you will find it a bit toofar away unless you decide to stop over for a night or two somwhere on the east side

London, United...
reviews: 8
2. Re: How far is Heraklion from Rethymnon

Rethymnon will give you more options in the West, as Daniele says, and you will still be within driving distance of Heraklion and Knossos, and to the ancient sites of Phaistos and Agia Triada.

30-45 minutes is an underestimate, I would say. I'd guess closer to an hour, or a little more. The bus takes 1.5 hours, and travels pretty fast!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 59
3. Re: How far is Heraklion from Rethymnon

Timewise I agree with Alabastron. I don't think you could do it in much under an hour, unless you have a powerful car and ignore the traffic police and the speed cameras (which may not work!)

Devizes, United...
reviews: 310
4. Re: How far is Heraklion from Rethymnon

Yes, I've driven to Rethymno from Iraklion and never done it in less than an hour, usually around 70 minutes.

Ft McMjurray
5. Re: How far is Heraklion from Rethymnon

What do they charge for parking in Heraklion, just wondering a ball park price. Thanks

Ft McMjurray
6. Re: How far is Heraklion from Rethymnon

The sites you mentioned are on our list, so Rethymnon would be a good base. How far is Phaistos site, from Rethymnon It was mentioned in my research that it was 62 km from Heraklion. Not sure which side of Heraklion that would be. We were thinking staying in Heraklion, but thanks .

Dublin
reviews: 30
7. Re: How far is Heraklion from Rethymnon

Sorry for not replying sooner but haven't looked at Crete forum in a while and I see nobody has answered your query relating to parking costs. It's very reasonable. All day near the port or the museum is 3-4 euros. Both a close to centre of city.

Edited: 3:23 pm, February 28, 2013
Chania Town, Greece
8. Re: How far is Heraklion from Rethymnon

Hi, this is Kostas from Chania. I have been grown up at Heraklion, right now very close relatives of mine live there and i can tell you one thing. Parking at Heraklion could be a real challenge most of the times. Especially at summer time with all the extra visitors, which it applies also at Chania and Rethymnon city in summer time but not as much as in Heraklion. My personal opinion is that you should choose a place to stay, Rethymnon is indeed a good place, and visit in a day or two, Heraklion, knossos, faistos, etc., since you said you,ll have a car. Also Heraklion,s beaches are in no comparison as good as Rethymno,s or Chania,s. The drive to Heraklion from Rethymnon would take you about 60 to 70 minutes or so, considering that you don,t know the road and you,ll drive on a careful cruise mode. I do it in about 50 minutes in a cool cruising mode, when with customers (taxi driver) or family, but i know the road and have seen the drive about 400 times in my life and have driven it another 200 at least. Believe me, it can be done in much less... :)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 59
9. Re: How far is Heraklion from Rethymnon

Kostas, do the speed cameras work?!

Chania Town, Greece
10. Re: How far is Heraklion from Rethymnon

The cameras doesn,t work , if you see them they are broken. BUT especially through summer season there are quite frequent police check points by on the spot police cars that they are equipped by either hand used speed meters or cameras on their dashboard. Most common pattern is that one car without police badges on it is parked sideways, measures the speed of the cars and in about half or one km after is the conventional police car stopping and fining you. Or if it,s the cars with the on board speed cameras, gets a nice pic of you which you receive after a while.Most common places of the checking point are on any exit/entry of the national road where the speed is usually 60 or 70 km, that as you know there are too many "junctions". The top speed of the road is 90 km anyway. The road itself as you know is not in the condition that it should be, so no point of going much faster than the speed limits, especially when you are on a holiday trip here and if you don,t know the road. 60-70 on the curved parts or 100 km/h on the straight lines that are not through a densed tourist area as Kavros for example, are quite good and decent speeds that keeps you safe and police worried free. When wet, go even slower. Another tips that helps as all: when you are driving and being followed by another car that wants to overtake you DON,T panic. When you find a part of straight road, just go a bit to the right, not on the rails, and the other driver would overtake you. Most visitors cause the are feel pressured, they try to speed up more than they would like to go on straights and as a result they are breaking harder and more than it needs at the next corner. THAT doesn,t work out. So just go on your temp and give a little space without changing speed whenever you think there,s a chance of being overtaken. And finally don,t try to overtake yourself because the car in front starts an overtake on the second in front car. I have about 40 Newton kgs of torgue, so i would have finished my overtake when you would just be starting yours with a rented car of 1200cc and 15 to 20 Newton kgs of torgue. Bottomline, drive as YOU think it,s safe and don,t mind about that crazy local basta$#× that they are hitting the horn or flashing you their headlight so that you move over.

Edited: 2:15 am, March 01, 2013