We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re:- Boo back from Elounda

Which Elounda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire, UK
reviews: 4
Re:- Boo back from Elounda

First of all thanks for everyone who helped me choose Elounda as our holiday destination and for all the helpful information provided.

Well got back on Thursday and since it’s my first day back at work.....I thought I’d do a brief trip report on our holiday. (Just read this back and it’s not as brief as I’d have liked so apologies! What can I say – I witter!)

I travelled with the husband and 2 children aged 1 and 3. I had paid for extra legroom seats with Thomson and they were well worth the money, especially since the 18 month old was on my lap. It definitely made a big difference. Flights were brill (both ways) and we landed early (both ways).

Heraklion airport was good and we got our cases quite quickly. Found a thomsom rep who directed us to our coach. Not sure if it was the beers on the plane or tiredness but it took us ages to find our bus number as there were loads of them obviously not in numerical order. Anyway didn’t matter and we were on our way. Transfer was 1 hr 40 (this bit I was dreading) but it was great! Was brill to see the island and it went really quickly. Saw the vultures circling in the mountains! Was good to see the other resorts too and compare.

Anyway eventually onto Elounda....Wow that view when you come round the bend and see the sparking water below and the harbour.

We stayed at the Manos apartments which were just as I expected. Nice pool bar and seating area overlooking the beach. Good pool. Unfortunately no childrens pool which may have been helpful as the pool doesn’t have a shallow end and I couldn’t touch the bottom at all which made going with the children a little difficult. Room was fine – 2 bedroom apartment with a kitchen and bathroom. No toasters allowed anymore so only able to use a 2 ring hob but it didn’t matter – it was a good excuse for us to buy yummy pastries from the local bakery or have cooked brekkie at babel.

The resort is very pretty and just the right size. Lots of beautiful fishing boats bobing about the harbour. Lots of choice taverna wise and all gorgeous. The tavernas were really child friendly for example they always gave us childrens cutlery and in some places even a plastic childrens beaker. High chairs always available even if it was a tall chair with a piece of rope ()

Morning were spent either walking the causeway and searching for the goats/sheep/chickens(!) followed by a drink at The Kanali Taverna or at The Eden Bar (play area was great for the kids). After lunch we spent the afternoons at the beach opposite our apartments. Water was so warm and shallow which was ideal! Then back across the road to the pool bar where we could indulge in a Mythos or 2 before shower time.

Tried quite a few different tavernas for evening meals all were lovely. Liked Olondi although we only ate there once. Porto Rino - food was gorgeous and the lady who worked there (don’t know her name!) was so friendly. Always bought toys over for the children to play with. Sounds mad but I can’t believe that all the restaurants still give ‘free stuff’ away after the meal (not had this for years on other greek islands) – whether it was free fruit platter or small bottle of raki (husband developed quite a taste for this and bought 3 bottles back via Ziggys mountain tour from the greek lady in the tavern – made me laugh as it’s sold in empty plastic water bottles – assuming it’s home brew!). Loved going to Babel for a drink during the day and the gentleman who ran the place (Nectaurius?) was so lovely!

Did the boat trip to spinalonga which was really good. Boats left every 20mins (ish) from the harbour and we were able to take a pushchair which was helpful. We weren’t part of a tour so unfortunately we weren’t exactly sure what was what although I had read the book so I wasn’t completely lost.

Took 2 happy train rides – one to Plaka which was very quaint: Lasted 1 hour with 15 mins in Plaka itself and the 3 hour mountain tour. Loved this one and so did the children. Scenery was spectacular and we really enjoyed the traditional taverna in the village where we had the longer stop.

Last trip we did was the bus to Agios Nikolaos which was again really good but we were glad we’d stayed in Elounda – bit too busy for our liking!

The church was beautiful in Elounda- had a look round one day and the 3 year old asked me where the king was! Went here after buying some souvenirs (managed to get a fabulous plate home from the pottery shop and some olive oil from the traditional products of crete shop...the lovely man here gave the children a free box of Turkish delight......however upon closer inspection we realised they were ouzo flavoured.....can they eat these?!)

Luckily our children are at an age whereby we could put their pyjamas on after our meal, bung them in pushchairs and they would eventually go to sleep so we could continue our evening at the pool bar with Hercules and co. Here he would do his upmost to ply us with free shots of goodness only knows!

Anyway all good things come to an end and we found ourselves back home after a wonderful holiday. You’ll be pleased to know that tonight I will be booking again for June next year and cannot wait! 8 months and counting..........

Yammas!

Leeds, United...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Re:- Boo back from Elounda

Fantastic review, booked for first time next May really looking forward to it now after your review!! thankyou

Kidderminster...
reviews: 19
2. Re: Re:- Boo back from Elounda

Lovely trip report. Glad you had such a good time in Elounda.

Nic :-)

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
reviews: 135
3. Re: Re:- Boo back from Elounda

Pleased you had a good time :-)

Liverpool
reviews: 54
4. Re: Re:- Boo back from Elounda

So glad you had a great holiday, but you have now caught the Elounda bug, we have had it for 20+ years, there is nowhere quite like it..

halifax
reviews: 77
5. Re: Re:- Boo back from Elounda

So glad you enjoyed it and that you are going back its a wonderful place to chill and although we no longer have little ones it sounds as though they were catered for really well.

The Greeks are really family orientated and I love to see them all eating out at night as a family which doesn't often happen here.

Babel is a very friendly place and it amazes me that you are always remembered and treated as a friend even if it happens to be 2 years later.

6. Re: Re:- Boo back from Elounda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 10, 2014