We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vegetarian in Crete - Elounda

Which Elounda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 36
vegetarian in Crete - Elounda

Hi folks I have read the reviews on local restaurants in Elounda, most are very positive about the food etc which I am pleased about but I did wonder if any vegetarians had visited these restaurants as we have booked a self catering holiday in Elounda but really enjoy eating out. My husband is a carnivore but I am vegetarian - happy to eat dairy products etc. any recommendations? Thanks!

London, United...
reviews: 47
11. Re: vegetarian in Crete - Elounda

Be aware however that most food is cooked and/or served in a lot, a lot of olive oil and is therefore very calorific!

==================================

In Rethymnon I picked up an interesting booklet about Cretan food. One story in there went as follows:

In the 1950s the French, impressed by the longevity of the Cretans, sent a team of scientists to study their diet. On the first meal out of the scientists and a few Cretans, one of the French team exclaimed in horror : "How much olive oil are you putting on that!"

There was also the interesting fact that, until about the 1950s, meat was very rarely eaten in Crete, and when it was it was served in thin slivers.

Which may or may not carry a message.

Rhondda Cynon Taf...
reviews: 19
12. Re: vegetarian in Crete - Elounda

You will love the food in Elounda, we are big meat eaters but here we tend to eat mostly vegetarian as everything is so good- also try Plaka wonderful food there also.

13. Re: vegetarian in Crete - Elounda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 05, 2014