We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Euros?

Which Elounda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Market Harborough
reviews: 1
Buying Euros?

Hello everyone,

A currency related question if I may.

In your opinions, should I buy my Euros in the UK or should I wait until I get out there and buy them whilst in Elounda? Are there banks in Elounda or am I better taking the cash out at an ATM?

Thanks in advance,

Katie

London, United...
reviews: 34
1. Re: Buying Euros?

I can't answer the question about banks in Elounda, but what I would say is if taking money out of an ATM then Nationwide cards give the best deal. Credit cards will be extortinate.

On the High Street usually Thomas Cook beat everyone else incl Post Office and M&S. Unless you order from the Post Office online and then collect instore. If you just turn up at the Post Office you get an inferior rate. You also get a better rate if you buy over £500 of Euros normally. Not sure about other internet providers. Whatever you do don't wait until you get to the airport - always the worst rate.

London, United...
reviews: 34
2. Re: Buying Euros?

I can't answer the question about banks in Elounda, but what I would say is if taking money out of an ATM then Nationwide cards give the best deal. Credit cards will be extortinate.

On the High Street usually Thomas Cook beat everyone else incl Post Office and M&S. Unless you order from the Post Office online and then collect instore. If you just turn up at the Post Office you get an inferior rate. You also get a better rate if you buy over £500 of Euros normally. Not sure about other internet providers. Whatever you do don't wait until you get to the airport - always the worst rate.

Stalybridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
reviews: 21
3. Re: Buying Euros?

Best rate offered today on www.comparetravelmoney.co.uk is 1.1437. Perhaps someone can tell us how that compares with ATM & in-resort rates.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Stoupa, Finikounda, Petalidi, Athens
reviews: 55
4. Re: Buying Euros?

Atm first thing this morning was just over €1.16.

Stalybridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
5. Re: Buying Euros?

ATM sounds good to me then! And unless world finances take a dive in the next 2 weeks we are only talking a few £££ difference on a holiday budget if the ATM rate drops a little. Fingers crossed it only gets better. Interesting that it is sitting around the rate that my holiday money was worth back in May. Looks like we have all got accustomed to the demise of historic rates like 1.47!

Manchester
reviews: 12
6. Re: Buying Euros?

There are places to change trav cheques in elounda and a bank too.

DA

Market Harborough
reviews: 1
7. Re: Buying Euros?

Thanks all. Certainly food for thought. We're not off for another 6 weeks but will keep my eye on the rates in the meantime...

Stalybridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
8. Re: Buying Euros?

If you are prepared to buy ahead you could buy cash euros now on a forward contract for early Sept at 1.1785. It is always a gamble wondering whether you jumped in at the right time, but it does fix your euros value.

UK
reviews: 88
9. Re: Buying Euros?

Credit cards are not 'extortionate' unless you mean taking money out of ATMs with them where there is usually a 3% fee which will *still* make them cheaper than changing cash or TC's.

A recent comparison I did, same day, for Canadian Dollars in Canada was Nationwide card >(4%) other Credit Card /Debit card (>5%) Cash/TC's. Where ">(x%)" means better by x% in my favour. In Greece it would have been 5% better not 4% as they load 1% on top for non Eurozone.

IMO the ONLY downside to credit cards / debit cards is the need to have a couple in case of loss of one and not everyone has or wants a couple.

10. Re: Buying Euros?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, January 14, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Elounda