We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

not what we expected !

Which Elounda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Geneva
reviews: 12
not what we expected !

At the risk of alienating some of you... Our first trip to Elounda last week was disappointing...from what we had read here we expected a pretty, and upscale Greek town... and while there were no burger bars and all day English breakfasts we were disappointed by the neon signs everywhere and ugly buildings. You took your life in your hands trying to navigate from one tacky tourist shop to the next and we were sad to find no "real" Greek shops selling ceramics, linens, Greek pastries, herbs, etc.

The saving grace of Elounda was the waterfront area with a number of nice restaurants.

We didnt have time to get to the causeway which we were told was very nice, but we do have to say we believe saw the rest of Elounda

We have travelled alot in Greece and have found some very pretty towns and villages and we were looking forward to discovering yet another pretty Greek town...but I'm afraid this was not it.

Bath, England
reviews: 2
31. Re: not what we expected !

I have been seething whilst reading some of these posts. I'm sorry to be so crass but you, Nanoo (apologies if spelling is incorrect) sound like a patronising snob. Elounda, or indeed every "tourist destination" has an element of tackyness, and as for those nasty ceramics, well the locals flog them to earn a living.

I found your views to be one dimensional, if you wanted to find the "real Elounda" you should have spoke with the locals and made the effort. I was pointed in the direction of "the Pope" in one of the villages behind Elounda, you could not get more authentic than having a drink in this gentlemans house, whilst he brought out plates of figs and made the effort to join in the conversation, all this and rumour says he's 111, hmmm....You can sit on his balcony and wave at all the peasants below - sounds right up your street Nonoo.......

Brentwood, United...
reviews: 4
32. Re: not what we expected !

Hi, if your looking for white washed houses, cobbled streets, go to Mykonos.

We stayed in Ornos Bay just outside the town, 5 minute ride on the bus. This resort is small with afew tavena's on the beach, and a few bars. I've been there three times and love it.

Mykonos town is beautiful.

33. Re: not what we expected !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Elounda