We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from Heraklion airport to Almyrida

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham...
Transfer from Heraklion airport to Almyrida

I need to get from Heraklion Airport to Almyrida with my 2 children this August. I think there might be a bus, maybe to Chania, but does anyone know where the closest point to Almyrida is that the bus would would stop and drop me off? I saw a timetable once for Heraklion > Rethymnon > Chania but with no apparent stops in between!!

Chania Town, Greece
Destination Expert
for Chania, Chania Town, Crete
reviews: 29
1. Re: Transfer from Heraklion airport to Almyrida

Yes, you can get a bus - first an airport transfer bus into Heraklion bus station & then get on the fast bus to Hania (approx hourly, I believe) you can find the timetable on Ktel website. Get off the bus at Kalives - ask the driver when you get on to tell you when you're there - but you'll get off about 10 mins after the Georgiopolis stops, you'll see a modern monastery in front on the left of the road - the bus stops a little after this at the main junction. However, this is the highway & is about 10 mins walk into centre of Kalives. I'd recomend you ring for a taxi - the Almyrida taxi co no is 694640905. it's a 10 min drive to Almyrida from there.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 10
2. Re: Transfer from Heraklion airport to Almyrida

The bus drivers will usually stop wherever people want to get on or off. Your problem is that Almirida is a bit off the National Road bus route. The nearest drop-off point is probably Vrysses, but you would have to (a) tell the driver you want to get off there and (b) arrange in advance for a taxi to come from Almirida to pick you up and take you to your accommodation. It's not very far, and shouldn't be very expensive.

I suggest you speak to the owner of your accommodation, who should be willing and able to arrange it for you.

If that proves unworkable, an alternative is to go with the bus all the way to Chania and get a taxi back to Almirida.

Edited: 4:41 pm, July 07, 2012
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
3. Re: Transfer from Heraklion airport to Almyrida

JWugg and I posted at the same time.

I didn't suggest Kalives, although it is closer to Almirida than Vrysses, because it too is off the bus route and I didn't think you'd want to walk with two children and your luggage into the centre. But now that you have the number of the Almirida taxi, you should be able to arrange yourself for the taxi to come and get you.

Vrysses remains a possibility - though a bit more expensive - if you'd rather sit in a cafe and wait for the taxi than on the road.

The buses from Heraklion run hourly on the half hour. Here is the timetable:

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

Edited: 4:48 pm, July 07, 2012
Nottingham...
4. Re: Transfer from Heraklion airport to Almyrida

Thank you both, that's a huge help. I don't know Almirida yet but know Kalives well so feel more comfortable getting into familiar territory before we're on Shank's Pony!!

Will have to leave the taxi booking until we're close to the area (difficult to know what time we'd get dropped off) but waiting nearly 12 months under grey skies to get back to Crete means hanging about in the sunshine is something I'd suffer gladly!!

I've always used taxis before but the fares have sky-rocketed (3 times what I paid in 2007!) and I guess are likely to be heading for 180 euros this year. Seems ridiculous when I'm told the bus is around 20 euros each.

I'm going to be brave, use my (much bigger) boys as donkeys and travel cheap!!

Thank you Albastron for the web link and JWugg for the taxi number. I owe you both (about 120 euros I reckon!!) :0)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
5. Re: Transfer from Heraklion airport to Almyrida

Hi Maria

As you know Crete, and won't be phased by the buses or the wait on the hard shoulder, and as you have two big strong boys to shoulder the baggage, the Kalives option will be fine.

The fare from Heraklion to Chania is 13.80. It will be slightly less to Kalives. That increases your debt, I reckon. :-) You're doing the right thing: the taxi fares are crazy.

Weesp, The...
reviews: 70
6. Re: Transfer from Heraklion airport to Almyrida

Take the bus to Chania, get out at the busstop of Kalami, near Aptera, than take a coffee and ask if they can call a taxi, this will cost you 10 euro and save you a lot of switching busses.

Nottingham...
7. Re: Transfer from Heraklion airport to Almyrida

Alabastron, this gets better! 13.80 euros!! I'm kicking myself that I've always paid taxi fares from the airports (though the boys were only little ... that's my excuse!!) We've returned to Kalives six times since 2005 but our wonderful landlord died while we were there last year - so sad we didn't think that we'd return this year but nowhere else matches Crete!! So trying to find a 'new favourite spot'. This will be trip No.7 and time for a new experience (even if it is on a bus - with a nearly 6 foot tall son!!). Roll on Aug 7th, 3 weeks of sun, tsatsiki and cicadas!! I'll report back after 28th (& pay my debt, now 141 euros!! if there's any money left!) :0)

Stevenage, United...
reviews: 20
8. Re: Transfer from Heraklion airport to Almyrida

We often get to Kalives by walking down from the Junction on the National Highway, and vice-versa, but I would be daunted doing it with baggage, even with "donkeys". I would suggest you phone the taxi from bus station at Rethymnon, (or even from the bus if you take your mobile phone, who doesn't these days). Now I'm jealous, we've had our fortnight this year, and now have to wait for next year unless the lottery comes up!

Don't forget if you use a mobile that you will need to to add +30 and drop the initial 0 when dialling or you will get a recorded message in Greek telling you that you've done it wrong!

Nottingham...
9. Re: Transfer from Heraklion airport to Almyrida

Hi 'weloveholiday'. Yes I'll be clutching my mobile so no problems calling for a taxi at the right moment. Not going to cart cases in afternoon heat after getting up at 4am! Interesting to hear you say you have often used the junction stop. Have you managed to GET ON a bus there too? I visualised them getting a right lick on along the highway and not being able to stop to pick up! Have you ever walked from Kalives across to Almyrida? I reckon it is do-able but not sure it would be a good idea in midday temps. Hoping to be able to nip across to our beloved Kalives some evenings but with Alabastron saving me money I should be able to afford a taxi!!

Hope you had a good 2 weeks and left some sunshine for us - I'll leave it ready for you to return!! 'Next year' will be with you in the blink of an eye :0)

Chania Town, Greece
Destination Expert
for Chania, Chania Town, Crete
reviews: 29
10. Re: Transfer from Heraklion airport to Almyrida

Maria,

I suggest you call for your taxi when the bus leaves Georgiopolis - they'll know how long you'll be. & yes, you can get on thebus at the same place on the highway junction- the buses are used to stopping here.

Yes you can walk to Kalives from Almyrida, but you'll find it rather hot for walking most of the day now! If you walk to the far end of the beach in Almyrida & up the steps/ slope at the end it will take you onto a quiet track; the end of this comes out on the main road, then take the next fork right down towards Kera, straight on down then up again back onto main road. Another short bit on the road & you can take the right turn down 'cardiac hill' (blocked to cars) to get into Kalives. About 30 minutes.

There are also about 4 buses a day to Chania from Almyrida which will stop in Kalives.