We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife in Chania (and Scandinavian people...)

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Beverwijk...
Nightlife in Chania (and Scandinavian people...)

Hi,

I'm thinking about a trip to Chania in August 2006. I have been on Crete one time before, and that wasn't my best vacation I must admit. I was staying in Chersonissos, and the big problem there was that it was packed with Dutch people. I am Dutch myself and don't want to be in a place with many people from my home country. It doesn't feel like vacation to me...

Can anybody tell me how that is in Chania? I heard there are a lot of Scandinavian people there every summer. Is that true? I just LOVE the Scandinavian people, and I even learnt myself the Norwegian language because of that!

And can anybody tell me something about the nightlife in Chania? Is it busy with a lot of bars, or is it really quiet and are people just going out to eat?

I am thinking about going to Hotel Amphora near the old harbour.

Every bit of information about going out there is welcome!

Thanks!

Nico.

Beverwijk...
11. Re: Nightlife in Chania (and Scandinavian people...)

Thanks for all the info! We decided to go to Platanias in September. The only accomodation that is in the centre of Platanias available through Dutch tour operators, is Apollo Platania. Does anybody know about this place?

The other accomodations are close to the beach, but about 3 or 4 km from the Platanias-centre, and we don't want to take a cab every night...

Or is the centre not the same as the nightlife-centre?

Beverwijk...
12. Re: Nightlife in Chania (and Scandinavian people...)

Hi,

Today I talked to a Norwegian girlfriend of mine, and a couple of years ago she was staying in Platanias. And she said that it was very quiet, and most of the tourists were couples with kids that went to bed around 11 in the evening. She was there at the end of August/beginning of September by the way...

Now I really don't know what to believe anymore :-(.

Any more people that have been there, and can tell me something about the nightlife? Because I would find it a shame if it's like that girlfriend told me...

Thanks!

North West UK
reviews: 63
13. Re: Nightlife in Chania (and Scandinavian people...)

Don't worry. You will find what you want either in Platanias or take a trip into Chania. Places don't close down at 11:00. Chania is a big city and the locals can party all night.

Enjoy yourself.