We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week vaccation in Chania, need hints and tips.

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stockholm
2 week vaccation in Chania, need hints and tips.

Me and the lady are looking at a Greek island to spend our summer vaccation at. Last year we where in Gouvia on Corfu and liked it a lot and thought we would hit Greece again this year due to the good experience we had last time.

We been looking at Kreta (dont know the english spelling) and we both sepparately ended up with info hinting that Chania was the way to go.

What we are looking for is a nice place to live for a low cost. We not looking for a 5 star hotel but more like 2-3 star apartments as we only use the apartment to sleep in about and perhaps rest a day or two. Of course we want a well keept place to stay at where the cleaning is top notch. We where greatly supprised by the awesomeness the Calypso apartmenthotel in Gouvia-Corfu offered. Cleaning everyday, very helpfull staff and management and of course the location of Gouvia compared to the big city of Corfu town. We looking for something similar in Chania.

Sorry for the ranting, just can't stop myself :)

1. Weel keept apartment with good cleaning and a pool.

2. Hopefully close to a city center with bars and the like, but we not looking for an all out party place. We prolly will do that a night or two on our vaccation, but willing to travel some to get to a real party place.

3. Some nice places to visit and explore in the area. Historical or great views are always nice.

So hoping to get some hints and tips from You guys here who seem to have a nice knowledge of the area and what to avoid.

Thanks in advance Friends

J&C / Sweden

Devizes, United...
reviews: 309
1. Re: 2 week vaccation in Chania, need hints and tips.

Hi guys

I'm just a bit confused by part 2 of your post - you say you're "not looking for an all out party place" then say in the next sentence, "willing to travel some to get to a real party place". So, do you want to STAY somehere peaceful but within travelling distance of all the nightlife?

Chania is without a doubt a pleasant town with lots of bars, restaurants, and nightlife but I personally wouldn't spend two (?) weeks there. If you do want to see something of the island, then Chania as a base is more geared towards walking/hiking than anything else as you have the three western peninsulas, the Samaria Gorge on the south coast, plus other lesser gorges, and so on. Chania sits towards the western end of the north coast and Crete is well over 250 kms long

If you want the full-on party/club scene then there are other resorts on Crete that would fit the bill and would enable you to see more of the island.

Hersonissos and Malia are the party capitals of the island and for example, you could stay in either or stay somewhere in between the two like Stalis. Although this part of Crete isn't everyone's cup of tea, it would seem to be what you are after? Far more central as well for all the sights in Iraklion, Knossos, Lassithi plateau, Spinalonga and so on.

If you could just clarify exactly what your requirements are, then we can be more specific with suggestions.

Stockholm
2. Re: 2 week vaccation in Chania, need hints and tips.

Sorry for a confusing message, I blame it on English beeing my 4th language :)

Well, we are not looking for a party place, we will tho hit the party about once per week to blow off some steam. So 2 times on the 2 weeks we looking to go a bit nuts. Hope that clears up that part some.

And what we enjoy to do is visit historical places (if there are any), see some good sights aka travel to just get a view that people enjoy seeing and of course see some more of the Greek culture and the greek people.

Devizes, United...
reviews: 309
3. Re: 2 week vaccation in Chania, need hints and tips.

Hi again

4th language? I struggle with English!!

Seriously, now we know what you want, I'd recommend looking at making Stalis your base - it is a good resort on the north coast, about halfway between Hersonissos and Malia where there is all the partying you could wish for. Stalis is far more peaceful, has a great beach and still has plenty of bars and restaurants, as well as shops, car hire and everything else.It's well placed to see some of the best sights on Crete - the ones I mentioned on the first reply are all within one hour's drive or you can head a bit further and see places like Faistos and Gortys, Minoan and Roman sites, or even head south to Ierapetra, the most southern town in Europe.

Also close to Stalis are the fishing villages of Sissi and Milatos as well as the busy inland market towns of Neapoli and Kritsa.

New York City, New...
reviews: 21
4. Re: 2 week vaccation in Chania, need hints and tips.

Hello. I highly recommend visiting Chania in Crete. It is a lovely town with many reasonable accommodations within the old venetian walls and just west of town in the Platanias area if you are looking to stay on the beach.

You can also hire a car, or take a bus to many areas in western Crete. There are many gorges to hike in the area, most famously the Samaria. There are also many breathtaking beaches to spend a day at such as Balos on the northwestern tip of the island and Elafonisos on the southwest coast. Another beach to consider is Falasarna about 45 min. west of Chania to watch amazing sunsets. The area around Chania is known for some of the best beaches in Crete as the water is very warm and the coast nice and sandy. I prefer Kalathas and Marathi in Akrotiri just east of town. You can also head south to Paleochora where the beaches are much less crowded and the water is fresh and cool for those really hot days. You could even spend a couple nights in the town as it is a more relaxed place than Chania.

Chania also has some great restaurants like Apostolis for the best fish in town, Karyatis for the best Italian (unless you want to drive 30 min. to Don Rosarios), Taman for traditional Turkish/Greek fusion, and Milos in Platanias for great Greek food and wine.

Hope that was helpful - good luck!

UK
5. Re: 2 week vaccation in Chania, need hints and tips.

Hi J&C,

You can find a comprehensive list of accommodation along with all the relevant web links (and photos of course) here

http://www.mythtrips.com/

just choose Chania and Chania Town from the menu. Chania is a lovely city with plenty to do. See the official info here

http://www.chania.gr/

Regards

UkGreekTraveller

6. Re: 2 week vaccation in Chania, need hints and tips.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, September 26, 2009