We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feb in Crete

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rutland VT
Feb in Crete

My wife and I will arrive in Heraklion on Sun 2/17.Mon and Tues free and Wed fly to Athens.

Sun- Hotel Atlantis , walking tour, Arch Museum

Mon- Knossis and Matalla.

Tuesday- Bus to Hania Return to Heraklion.

Wed- fly to Athens 10:30 am

Am I crazy?Limited time and staying in Heraklion for three nights? My wife likes one location. We avoid driving and rely on public tranportation.

We like art and arch and are mellow,60's old hippies.

Any advise?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
1. Re: Feb in Crete

Welcome SHELVEY from beautiful Vermont:) ... I agree with your wife staying put for the 3 nights..although someone will have to kick in here for accuracy, I do believe you've got quite a trek there for Chania in only a day! There are 2 airports on Crete in Heraklion and Chania and believe the distance is bit! ..and no, you're not crazy, just an excited 'youngtsa' looking forward to a new adventure:) ...'Got snow' by the way?! Enjoy!

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 8
2. Re: Feb in Crete

Hi SHELVEY

Unless you are going on an organised trip to Knossos & Matala I would give Matala a miss. Apart from the beach,the caves & a few touristy shops there is nothing to do there even in summer time. In February the village will probably be almost closed down. It is a long way to go to see very little.

Devizes, United...
reviews: 309
3. Re: Feb in Crete

Hi there

Top marks for enthusiasm but I think you'll be running around like crazed beings with all you want to see in just two full days, especially if you intend using public transportation.

Day one is fine - all of Iraklion's major sights can be comfortably seen within a 3-4 hour walking tour and you would need at least a couple of hours to appreciate the archaeological museum.

Day two - easiest way to get to Knossos is by bus - the #2 service leaves from the bus station A on Koundouritou and takes 15-30 mins depending upon traffic. The bus will be marked as either Knossos or Archanes - either will drop you right outside the main entrance. You'll need a couple of hours to see all that Knossos has to offer but then, you'd have to take the #2 back to Iraklion to catch another bus

down to Matala on the south coast.

I take it you don't want to be up at the crack of dawn? So if you for example got to Knossos for even 10am, you won't be leaving till at least midday, then you have to get back to Iraklion, THEN take another 90 min minimum ride down to the south coast. At best, you wouldn't reach Matala before 2-3pm and bear in mind that it'll get dark early in February. My suggestion would be to maybe get back to Iraklion from Knossos then take a bus east to see Malia Palace which will only take 40 mins on the bus or to simply spend further time in the city exploring.

Day three - it's a best part of 3 hour bus ride from Iraklion to Chania so the day would involve 6 hours on the bus. My personal choice would be to go no further than Rethymno which is a great town, it has a Venetian harbour and fortress just as Chania does and plenty of culture and history, but only takes half the time on the bus, leaving you more time to explore and a darn sight less road weary.

Obviously it's your call but consider also you have a 10.30am flight to catch on day four

which will probably entail getting up at 6.30am.

Rutland VT
4. Re: Feb in Crete

Thank you all for your insight.My experience has been that I always shoot to see too much and you all brought me back to reality. Funny how you all mirror my wife's voice of reason!I will eliminate Matalla, scratch Hania and chill on what is closer.Snow in Vermont? Big time!Need info on Killington let me know.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
5. Re: Feb in Crete

I think you've made a good decision:) See, your wife had it right from the start..lol! Why argue?! Enjoy your snow!!

6. Re: Feb in Crete

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, September 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Chania Town