We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 days in Chania

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol
reviews: 22
14 days in Chania

I am thinking of booking 14 nights in hotel in Chania old town in October. We will be flying into Heraklion and plan to hire a car. Please can anyone assist with the following questions:

1. Is there enough to do around Chania if we are based there the whole 14 days?

2. Should we hire a car from and to airport and will we need it the whole 14 days - I understand driving into Chania is not easy.

3. If we do not spend 14 days in Chania where else would you suggest?

We have never been to Greece so do not know what too expect.

Chania
11. Re: 14 days in Chania

Hi Carlin,

Firstly, there is an airport in Chania, so if you can, you may as well fly straight there.

I have been in Chania for 5 days now (I am studying Greek here for the next month), and while it is a cute town, I think that 14 days in Chania alone is too much. It would be better to use the 14 days to drive around all of Crete, and base yourself in 2 or 3 towns over that time (as the distance between places here is quite far!). It is much better to drive around here, but you shouldnt be a timid driver, as the locals can be a bit crazy, and some roads are confusing.

While here, you must see the Samarian Gorge (in the south), Knossos, near Iraklion (it would be worth staying here for a couple of nights), and I have been told Eloundra and the island of Spinalonga (in the east) is amazing, although cant tell you personally.

Good luck with your trip!

San Francisco...
12. Re: 14 days in Chania

Hi Carlin,

I will be in Crete for the month of May. I also will be staying in old town as well. I will give you the "headup" whether 14 days will be toooooo long to hang around. I do plan on travelling around the island a few days a week during my stay. One goodthing about staying anyplace longer than a week is you really do get to know the locals and experience their lifestyle per say.

Will keep you posted on my experience!

Susanne

Crete, Greece
reviews: 1
13. Re: 14 days in Chania

"or be able to have a dip in a pool or stroll to the beach."

Yes the Venetian people when they build this Historical town of Chania before 600 years they forgot those beautiful pools and if I remember correct the last time i really enjoy the occian and the sun in Nea Chora beach which if is "still on the same spot" is only 5 minutes from old harbour of Chania town.Also I remember the big blue flag on that beach.

As to ending up driving like a local, I'm not sure thats a good idea :-)

Do you prefer to drive as a English when people here driving on the other side? Yes then is bad idea

UK
reviews: 81
14. Re: 14 days in Chania

i quote the Greek driver of the mini bus we were on a couple of years ago when we were in a near accident due to some local cutting us up in a lunatic manner "sorry about that, Greeks are tthe second worst drivers in the world".

After some discussion, the occupants of the bus (various nationalities including Greek ) decided that they were in fact only the third :-)

Crete, Greece
15. Re: 14 days in Chania

Dear friend accidents happens everywhere!!!

Nicki Lauda was an expert driver but do you rememder his crush?

I agree we are not the best drivers on the wolrd but is wrong to make people get scared.

ha! ha!

UK
reviews: 81
16. Re: 14 days in Chania

"Dear friend accidents happens everywhere!!!"

True, but only in Greece do you see monuments to those killed in road accidents along perfectly straight stretches of road. And, only in Greece, do you find careless (stupid?) tourists wearing nothing more than beach wear on ill-maintained mopeds sharing the traffic with people with the navigational skills of cruise ship captains, or people who apparently will die if they aren't at their destination in anything quicker than Warp Speed 10.

Crete, Greece
17. Re: 14 days in Chania

Mr joeintheuk

We can argue for ever.Is better to stop over here because you will be dislikeable person for the greek people and for all those who loves GREECE.

In the end Here in Greece we say:"First you must must look your face"in your mirror and then talk for someone else."

18. Re: 14 days in Chania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, August 25, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Chania Town