We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A drive to Delphi from Venizelos Airport (10hours at hand).

Which Delphi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 69
A drive to Delphi from Venizelos Airport (10hours at hand).

Hi there,

I will be arriving the airport from Mykonos at 7:30AM, July, 12th, and then taking another flight to Istanbul at 7:10PM. I have to be back at the airport by 6:00PM for the outbound flight check-in, so there is about 10 hours left to do some excursion.

Is it enough time to rent a car to visit Hosios Loukas(Osios Lucas) Monastery and Delphi during those 10 hours? How bad is the traffic from/to the airport and Delphi?

Thanks

London, United...
1. Re: A drive to Delphi from Venizelos Airport (10hours at hand).

Traffic won't be an issue, however, you realistically have 9 hours at your disposal (taking into account the time it'll take to retrieve bags, pick up the car etc. and also time to hand the car back at the other end) and the drive to Delphi is a good 3 hours each way (depending on how confident you are on mountainous roads) even if you don't stop at Osios Loukas. This means you will have 3 hours to see the site at Delphi, grab some lunch, use the restroom etc. Most people take at least 3-4 hours to see the site and museum and have a walk through the village etc. so I think you'll feel quite rushed.

Plus consider whether you might like to build in some leeway - what happens if you break down en route? How bad will it be if you miss your flight to Istanbul while waiting for roadside assistance? Bottom line, there are other places worth visiting closer to Athens, I suggest you don't venture as far as Delphi.

Edited: 7:05 pm, March 09, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
2. Re: A drive to Delphi from Venizelos Airport (10hours at hand).

Thanks a lot Tinsey.

I agree with you. Actually, I have 1.5 days in Athens from the afternoon of July, 8th before leaving for Santorini at 11:00AM, July, 10th. I was thinking to travel to Delphi on July, 9th but my husband said it is too exhuasted to make a long drive right after a long connecting flight from Japan. I was thinking of a day tour but none of them includes Hosios Lucas in its itinerary, except the private tour which is quite steep for only two.

Is 2.5 days in Athens and Attica too much to explore the area? I am not interested in shopping though.

Thanks

Kumaneko

London, United...
3. Re: A drive to Delphi from Venizelos Airport (10hours at hand).

2.5 days is barely enough to scratch the surface in Athens, without including any shopping. You can forget Attica, unless you have wings ;-)

What I would do is concentrate on Athens for 2.5 days and do Attica between flights, however you will have to forgo Osios Loukas and Delphi.

There are other monasteries in Attica that will be more readily accessible.

Tokyo, Japan
4. Re: A drive to Delphi from Venizelos Airport (10hours at hand).

Thanks again Tinsey.

That's really helpful!! I will consider the other alternative instead. Dafni monastery which is also the one in my lists maybe a better choice. I will save Delphi and Osios Loucas for our next trip then^^.

Cheers,

Kumaneko

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
reviews: 88
5. Re: A drive to Delphi from Venizelos Airport (10hours at hand).

Personally. with so little time in Athens, I cannot imagine you will want to leave the city, as the "must do" list in Athens needs 3-4 days...unless, of course, you have been before. Do not underestimate how great Athens is..it is a destination all by itself..great city, fabulous sites...have fun!!!

Tokyo, Japan
6. Re: A drive to Delphi from Venizelos Airport (10hours at hand).

Thanks a lot johnnieb^^.

Can't wait until July to visit Athens!!

Kumaneko

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
reviews: 21
7. Re: A drive to Delphi from Venizelos Airport (10hours at hand).

I am just back from a first visit to Athens (3 days) & had no trouble filling the time, despite always claiming to not be a city person. There are the major sites, plus an amazing amount of open & green space to explore. Museums to suit all tastes - try the Benaki where you can easily while away a couple of hours without getting bored as there is so much variety of exhibits. I hate shopping (yuk!) but it is worth having a walk around the meat, fish, fruit & veg markets - for the hustle, bustle, atmosphere & colour.

There is just such an eclectic mix in the city of old & new - surprising old churches in the middle of modern squares & great views from both Acropolis & Lykkavittos Hill. Great photo opportunities everywhere. You need plenty of coffee stops to just catch your breath & people watch. The National Gardens will no doubt be worth a stroll in July & provide some shade.

London, United...
8. Re: A drive to Delphi from Venizelos Airport (10hours at hand).

Good point re: needing stops for refuelling and refreshing, especially in July. Although the advantage of visiting in high summer is fewer locals around, longer days and better weather, you won't be able to do much in the midday heat, especially if there's a heatwave on - and seeking shade, keeping hydrated and pacing yourself will be all the more important.

Have a look at this map - it's not the best or more accurate, but it will give you an idea of how much open space there is to explore around the Acropolis: greeceathensaegeaninfo.com/a-ath/maps/07-acr…

Also in summer, there are coastal areas to explore, open air performances to attend, seaside dining to experience etc.

Dafni Monastery is a good option :-)

P.S. Hi Johnnie! (didn't get to say hello on that other thread, sorry for the lag)

Tokyo, Japan
9. Re: A drive to Delphi from Venizelos Airport (10hours at hand).

HI everyone^^

Many thanks for all of you from Tokyo! Will check all the places and websites you mentioned;-)

Kumaneko

London, United...
10. Re: A drive to Delphi from Venizelos Airport (10hours at hand).

Here's what you can do (in case you've not done so already):

Go to the dedicated Athens forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g189400-i194-Athen…

Look at the box on the right hand side titled "Top questions about ATHENS". Click on the relevant bullet points and read the info contained within.

Then, find the green search box just above the list of topics. Enter "summer itinerary" or similar and hit the button with the magnifying glass. This will take you to a list of relevant topics. Read a few of them - they're full of ideas, suggestions and advice on how best to organise your time in Athens, what to see, what to miss etc.

Then review this link: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g189400-Activiti…

If you still have any questions re: Athens, post a new topic in the Athens forum and we'll be only too happy to help :-)