We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another airport to ferry question--will i have time?

Which Piraeus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Linden, New Jersey
reviews: 6
Another airport to ferry question--will i have time?

I am getting a bit nervous about catching my ferry to Aegina in time. I land in Athens at 15:40 (3:40pm) and from what I understand, it looks like the last ferry out is at 19:00 (7pm).

I will have a layover in Switzerland before coming to Athens from the USA.. Someone mentioned this layover in helping me along as far as customs go, is that true?

Because of the time crunch, I will probably want to take a taxi from the airport to Piraeus port. Any tips for dealing with the taxis at the airport? I think I heard something about a fixed price? If there are any other forms of transportation that are quicker or just as quick, please let me know.

I will need to get from Piraeus to Athens city center on my way back and I heard the taxis can be very mean spirited at the port. So any suggestions there would also be welcome.

Thanks all for the advice! Can't wait to visit in mid-september :)

10 replies to this topic
Saudi Arabia
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
reviews: 21
1. Re: Another airport to ferry question--will i have time?

Hi,

Another option to get to Piraeus is the X96 bus. Given the time frame you have it should be possible:

athensairportbus.com/en/X96-bus-from-airport…

Journey time depends on traffic but it is frequently cited as being 90 minutes.

Linden, New Jersey
2. Re: Another airport to ferry question--will i have time?

Thanks for your reply! So it seems like a taxi is a bit faster than the bus, but not by a whole lot. I will probably end up taking a taxi anyway, just to give myself that extra time. I hope we can make it out of the airport in an hour, that would be ideal :\

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
3. Re: Another airport to ferry question--will i have time?

Hey and welcome Valerie T:-) An hour is more than enough;-) Just to note, the X96 bus costs 5E p/p.. expect to pay approx. 50E.. thereabouts.. for a cab to Piraeus.. it's traffic dependent so can go either way;) Best.. and EnJOY!

Linden, New Jersey
4. Re: Another airport to ferry question--will i have time?

I didn't want to create a new post, so I am just bumping this one.

I've been doing some reading up on time it takes to get through the airport at Athens and all my transportation options to get to Pireaus.

I have a crazy question as I think of my worst case scenario (plane delayed, last ferry missed). Has anyone ever chartered a boat to get to an island after ferry operating hours?

Saudi Arabia
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
reviews: 21
5. Re: Another airport to ferry question--will i have time?

Hi,

I haven't done so but you could contact your hotel on Aegina to see if they can arrange something. However, a taxi should easily get you to Piraeus in time.

Linden, New Jersey
6. Re: Another airport to ferry question--will i have time?

Good idea, though I'd probably be using public phones. Last time I went on any kind of vacation, I didn't bring my cell because I didn't want to deal with international service and I didn't want it to be stolen or lost. I only brought my ipod touch, which served as entertainment (music) and also can connect to wifi, so I used it to write to family back home. Will probably do the same thing for Greece.

I think I will definitely take a taxi, despite the huge price difference. I know I can get in one the second I get out of the airport, so no waiting around for a schedule. The thought of missing the last ferry scares me so much that i'll just pay the 50 EU.

Edited: 11:07 am, March 05, 2014
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
7. Re: Another airport to ferry question--will i have time?

.. I think you're over worrying here;-) You have well over 3 hours.. and chances are excellent your flight from Switzerland will be timely.. they're known for their 'accurate timings';-)) Take the cab.. and chances again are you'll have time for a coffee at Piraeus as well;-) Something's got to go really awry to miss this.. like a super delayed incoming flight out of either GVA or ZRH.. which would be very rare;-)) Stop worrying..when done and over, looking forward to hearing about your wonderful trip.. and how smooth it all went.. and how much you enjoyed!

Linden, New Jersey
8. Re: Another airport to ferry question--will i have time?

LOL..yeah, I guess I am worrying a bit too much. I'm not so much worried about the Switzerland connection as I am just getting out of EWR on time. :P

I'll be sure to share a trip report and probably even a video montage. I made one for my last (and only big so far) vacation and it was fun to put together. :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
9. Re: Another airport to ferry question--will i have time?

Well, EWR has gotten a bit better IMO.. regardless, flying in/out of busy NYC area airports will be the most stressful part of the trip.. once you hit Switzerland.. it'll be a piece of cake.. the airport in Athens is a practical joy, lol;-)) Are you flying Swiss on the trans or the coop flight using UA?! With that Athens arrival.. looks like the later evening departure out of EWR?:-) Enjoyin'!

Linden, New Jersey
10. Re: Another airport to ferry question--will i have time?

Yep, the initial flight out of EWR is Swiss operated by United and departs early evening. We'll be landing in Geneva and it will feel like about 2am, but actually be 7:45 am. So that will be interesting.. I've never gone anywhere with such a time difference, and I've never had a layover. We will depart a little after noon to head to Athens. Hoping to catch some of the sights in Geneva and not just the airport. From what I understand, there is a train that will take you to the lake/city center in 10 minutes. And also a bus that can take you to the 'old city'.

The rest of the flights are listed as "Swiss", but I wouldn't be surprised if United had their hands in it.

Pretty excited about the layover, actually. I hope we have a chance to check it out.

Edited: 5:27 pm, March 05, 2014
Reply to: Another airport to ferry question--will i have time?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted