We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
westland michigan
Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

Just wondering.

11 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
reviews: 19
1. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

Visa,Mastercard,Amex,only...what is discover card?

Athens, Greece
2. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

generally cash is much preferred in greece and many don't even accept cards,so always have cash with you

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 16
3. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

Hi,

Visa and Mastercard are the main 2 credit/debit cards for Greece.

Lesser known regional cards you may have a problem with.

Seems it won't be much use:

https:/…q1

https:/…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
4. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

Discover card is not accepted in Europe: there have been a number of posts over the years.

westland michigan
5. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

Thanks all. Was going to use cash anyway.

6. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:56 am, April 23, 2014
Edited: 7:56 am, April 23, 2014

7. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:56 am, April 23, 2014

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
reviews: 8
8. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

I agree. Use a combination of cash + credit + debit.

There is no reason to caryy all your moeny in cash; it's not a good idea in every place in the world.

I have already managed to leave two times my wallet in two different locations, one in Thessaloniki Airport, one in CDG aiport in Paris and i did it all myself :-)

Use a combination of

1. cash ( for the places that don't accept credit cards ). You do need some cash.

2. debit card ( atm's are everywhere. Especially in Athens there is one or more every 5 minutes walking ) Have some minimal cash arriving and then use atm's to refuel.

3. Credit card ( Visa or Mastercard. Amex is accepted in bigger establishments only like dept stores; reason has to do with bigger comissions so companies simply opt out. Visa is the big thing here. )

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
reviews: 8
9. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

I definitely agree with using creditcards when possible, for the reason mentioned in #6 byKinetas K

:-)

Not always possible, some restaurants, even in Athens may not accept them; the smaller the establishment is the less likely they 'll accept credit cards, but, many do at the same time.

Washingon DC area
reviews: 4
10. Re: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?

Only problem with credit cards can be the transaction fees. You can find a card that waives those fees, which can save you a little money. I have a Visa that I only use in Greece, so it's easy to track my spending when I get home.

Reply to: Is Discover card accepted in Greece?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted