We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to visit a hospital

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Need to visit a hospital

So I'm not familiar with the medical system in Greece, I need to visit a hospital in Athens in a couple of days time (13 March) and was hoping somebody could give me some advice.

I just had minor surgery in Santorini (infected, ingrown toenail) and the doctor told me I needed to get it looked at by another doctor in two day's time, at which point I'll be in Athens (well actually he originally said to come back to see him, but we fly out tomorrow).

We're only there for one full day (two nights) so I was going to sightsee during the day and head to a hospital in the afternoon, on the assumption that I'll be sitting around there waiting for quite some time.

In Australia, we have public hospitals, which are free, and private hospitals, which can get quite pricey. I don't know what Greece has, but if that's also the case (my original surgery in Santorini was free) I don't want to accidentally go to the wrong hospital and end up with a huge bill.

I'd really appreciate some advice. If it helps, we're staying at a hotel in Plaka.

7 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
reviews: 19
1. Re: Need to visit a hospital

Evaggelismos public hospital is the one closer to you,take the metro from Syntagma dir airport and get off at Evaggelismos,one stop later ,ask where to see a doctor, you will have to pay 5 euros fee,then the examination is free..the hospital is on emergency duty today,if you go tommorow find which hospital is on duty.

Edited: 1:38 pm, March 11, 2014
Athens, Greece
reviews: 19
2. Re: Need to visit a hospital

on second look Evaggelismos is on duty for other clinic to the one you need,the one you need is Ippokrateio and the nearest metro stop is Ampelokipoi,same direction with the metro,just ask your hotel for other transport options.

Athens, Greece
3. Re: Need to visit a hospital

Expect to wait in line for a VERY long time if you visit a public hospital (I have never waited less than 4 hous in the 50 years I live in Greece)

You could also visit a private doctor at his private office (your hotel can arrange this) expect to pay around 50-70 euros.

Edited: 2:35 pm, March 11, 2014
Athens, Greece
4. Re: Need to visit a hospital

It would also be good if you had someone speaking Greek with you cause the whole hospital situation is a bit chaotic in Greece and few public servants in the public hospitals speak English.

Santorini is a small island and doctors there are used to catering to tourists (and yes even though they should they don;t charge them anything) but don't expect the same thing in Athens.

Edited: 2:38 pm, March 11, 2014
Athens, Greece
5. Re: Need to visit a hospital

Update:

Doctors in the hospitals are on STRIKE tomorrow so a private doctor is your only choice.

news.in.gr/greece/article/?aid=1231302406

Edited: 2:41 pm, March 11, 2014
Athens, Greece
6. Re: Need to visit a hospital

Τhis is a special center in the center of Athens (SOLONOS 100,KOLONAKI) that specializes in nail problems

kentropodiou.gr/index.php/contactus/location

their tel,nr is 210 3610100 & 210 3647100,they are open from 08.00-16.00 daily

Adelaide, Australia
7. Re: Need to visit a hospital

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Day three of a 30 day trip and this has thrown the plans out of whack a bit.

I'll get the hotel to help me make an appointment to see somebody at that clinic. Potential foot infection not the type of thing to mess around with.

Reply to: Need to visit a hospital
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted