We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Layover in Athens

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Quezon City...
reviews: 17
Long Layover in Athens

We will be having a long layover at the Athens Int'l airport during our flight from Paris to Santorini. We will be arriving at 11:30PM on a Saturday and will be departing the next day Sunday at around 4PM. My fiance and I are planning to do a short day tour of Athens during this stop. Is it better to book a hotel near the airport or in Akropolis? Is it safe to ride public transportation/taxi going to Akropolis that late (1130PM)?

Athens, Greece
1. Re: Long Layover in Athens

On Saturday nights a lot of people use the metro to go out, so it is reasonably safe to use it to go at the Akropolis area (which will be bustling with people). The same goes for the taxis waiting outside the airport. I wouldn't take the bus, not because it is unsafe, but because it will take too long to take you to the city center.

The time between flights is too short to tour Athens but if you intent to go through with it, you should stay at a hotel near Akropolis. If i was in your shoes, i would find something near the airport and sleep till the next flight.

Athens, Greece
2. Re: Long Layover in Athens

You are right toni. Thank you for correcting me!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
3. Re: Long Layover in Athens

Hey and welcome VinB712:-) To start, there is only 1 hotel AT the airport.. the Sofitel.. literally across the Street from the airport which is conveniently encompassed under 1 roof or terminal building.. but really doesn't make sense to stay there since you're looking to take in some of the City as well.. total waste having to commute into the City when there are so many properties conveniently located smack central;-)

The X95 express bus from the airport to the center at Syntagma Square takes about 40 min .. give or take depending on traffic.. runs 24/7 and only 5E p/p! It's right outside arrivals in front of the cab line! You don't mention a budget spread but there are loads of hotels covering all budget ranges from the grande dame of properties.. the Grande Bretagne .. and King George.. to more budget friendly places like the Arethusa, Amalia, Pan and Amazon Hotels.. all on or close to Syntagma Square where the express bus starts and ends.. doesn't get any easier;-)

You can explore early morning.. the Akropolis opens at 8a;-) The Plaka and Monasteraki areas.. all merge with Syntagma at some point.. lots pedestrianized.. lots of sites, cafes, etc.. makes for a great walk.. the New Akropolis Museum as well is a great accompaniment to the Akropolis;-) The central area is easily walkable and manageable! With a 4p domestic isle flight, would look to head out about 2p if taking the bus to get to the airport before 3p;-) Have a great trip.. and EnJOY!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 10
4. Re: Long Layover in Athens

What Litsa said. Definitely, without the slightest question, go into Athens by bus or taxi, depending on budget. The bus will take longer than a taxi, but not much longer, and the taxi will cost (night rate) €50.

Get into the city and into a hotel and to sleep as quickly as possible, so that you can wake up in time to get to the Acropolis just before its 8 am opening time, see it before the crowds arrive, and make the most of the rest of your half day.

What about your luggage? Will it be checked through to Santorini? If not, you'll be able to leave it at the airport taking just your pyjamas and toothbrush, etc with you to your Athens hotel, but you'll have to allow time to collect it on your return.

Quezon City...
reviews: 17
5. Re: Long Layover in Athens

Wow! Thanks for all the advice. I feel more enlightened now. Looking forward to visiting Greece!

Jakarta, Indonesia
reviews: 11
6. Re: Long Layover in Athens

Stay in the sofitel next to the airport

Athens, Greece
reviews: 19
7. Re: Long Layover in Athens

I visit Athens couple of times per year, and if I was you, definitely would book a hotel nearby Syntagma square, sleep the night, and head early morning for the sites.

The express bus is an easy solution, but if your budget can take it, get a taxi, as the traffic my be heavier approaching Athens centre.

Explore Athens, and reserve enough time to reach the airport, I dont assume traffic will be much at that time of the day on a Sunday.

Enjoy your day!

8. Re: Long Layover in Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 01, 2014