We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Athens Hotels on the spot

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
reviews: 2
Booking Athens Hotels on the spot

Hi I am traveling to Athens with my husband from September 19-25 ( 6 nights). We have booked a hotel for the first 2 nights ( just in case) but I wanted to remain flexible with out itinerary in case we will go to the islands and stay the night there.

Is it difficut and more expensive to find a hotel on the spot, just by walking on the street and walking in? I have done so many times in Asia and found some wonderful and cheap options not available on websites. Is it possible to do the same thing in Athens or will they change me more money ( since it may appear that I am deserate for a place to stay).

Thank you in advance. Olga

4 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
reviews: 19
1. Re: Booking Athens Hotels on the spot

It has been a very long time since I walked to a hotel and asked for a room,as they say door prices are much more expensive than booking on the internet.

You can always try it.

Athens, Greece
reviews: 63
2. Re: Booking Athens Hotels on the spot

No problem at all. It is the best thing to do.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 33
3. Re: Booking Athens Hotels on the spot

Hey and welcome Olga:-) Although finding a place on the spot is pretty common practice on the isles.. even on the mainland if driving around with a car in the various villages and smaller Towns.. like most European Capitals, Athens is a large, vibrant metropolis.. hotels range from small/economical to large luxe so allot depends on hotel category and availability! By end Sept., you can pretty much pick and choose a place on the isles.. but in Athens, it's a popular month! FWIW, it can be time consuming looking around for a place when you can be more focused on sites, etc.. Personal call of course, but for the most part, I'd rather have the properties nailed in large CIties.. and go on the flow once out of the mayhem;-) Best.. and enJOY!

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
4. Re: Booking Athens Hotels on the spot

You are booked for the first two nights, so will have two days to find a room if you decide to stay longer in Athens. In the event the hotel you are staying in doesn't have a vacancy, they should be able to help you find somewhere else. When I stayed at Hotel Cypria in September 2011 there were people walking in and getting a room on the spot, so it is possible.

Reply to: Booking Athens Hotels on the spot
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted