We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport layover time

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Airport layover time

We are flying into Athens arriving at 6:15pm, but our end destination is Crete (Heraklion). Our options are either Cyprus Airways departing at 8:30pm, or Aegean Air departing at 11:00pm. I assume we will have to retrieve our bags when we arrive in Athens, and then re-check them for the flight to Heraklion since we are using different airlines. Which airline do you recommend (Cyprus vs. Aegean)? Is 2.5 hours enough time to go through customs/immigration (we are arriving from Croatia), retrieve our bags, and re-check our bags to make the 8:30pm flight?

Bath
reviews: 3
1. Re: Airport layover time

Absolutely fine..go for the first flight..2.5 hours is ample time and Athens airport is very straightforward.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
2. Re: Airport layover time

Hey and welcome veroj86:-) Well, you don't have 2.5 hours to be exact.. you have 2 hours and 15 min;-) Every minute counts when dealing with entry formalities/luggage retrieval;-) Having said that, I agree it's a good time spread if your inbound flight from Croatia is timely:-)

Athens airport is super user-friendly, modern.. easy to navitage.. all under 1 roof or terminal building so after formalities at arrivals, you simply go up one flight to check in for your domestic puddle jumper;-) You can take a look at the official site at www.aia.gr/

I've never flown Cyprus Air but have on Aegean.. great carrier IMO;-) FWIW, this is bottom line, a personal call.. your comfort zone rules;-) I don't think you'll have a problem with the time spread in making the Cyprus Air flight.. but no one can guarantee that the flight from Croatia won't be delayed.. to be one the safe side, you can always go for the Aegean flight and plan on having dinner at the airport.. or at the Sofitel right across the Street that has a 24X7 cafe.snack bar as well as a full service restaurant?;-) Again, it's your call, your vaca.. your travel style;-) You're coming the distance, how much of an inconvenience would it cause you if there was an incoming delay that causes a miss?;-) Although chances are good you'll make it.. there's always a 'chance'.. 4 hours and 45 min doesn't sound that bad at this point, does it, lol?;-) Happy planning.. and enJOY!

Florida
3. Re: Airport layover time

Thanks for your replies! I have heard good things about Aegean, but not much about Cyprus. On Skytrax, Agean has 4 stars but Cyprus has 2.5 - which does worry me a bit since I'm a nervous flyer. Has anyone flown both that can give a comparison?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
4. Re: Airport layover time

You're welcome:-) FWIW, these are short, approx 40 min flights.. by the time either plane takes off and levels.. you're on the descent;-) Not surprised Aegean has 4*.... what carrier are you flying in from Croatia.. Croatia Air? Keep enjoyin'!

Florida
5. Re: Airport layover time

Yep, Croatia Air.

6. Re: Airport layover time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 27, 2014