We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athenian Brewery

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Warsaw, Poland
reviews: 193
Athenian Brewery

Hi All,

I'm a huge fan of beer, and I'd like to taste something different than previously when I was in Athens. Then I tried Alpha, Mythos, Vergina. Now on my target are: Marathon beer, Athenian beer, Mythos Red as I couldn't find them in markets, shops. And I'm wondering is there any good shop with beers in Athens?

Do you know if Athenian Brewery provides an official shop in brewery at Leoforos Kifisou 102 street? So I could go there and buy few bottles for myself.

If not, then can you kindly recommend me some good markets or shops with Greek beers (also from islands, as i heard Crete and Santorini, Rhodos have some brewariana products as well!) - in the center of Athens, so I can easily reach them from Acropolis or Monastiraki area.

I will also visit Craft brewery which is easy to access by metro as I checked.

Many thanks for your help!! :))

Karina

Berlin, Germany
1. Re: Athenian Brewery

Athenian brewery produces run of the mill commercial mediocre beer (and some HORRIBLE ones like AMSTEL & HEINEKEN) so there is no point to go there if you are a beer connoisseur.

There are a few microbreweries producing beer in Greece (to be frank w/ you none of them is really a killer beer ,like the great Chech,Japanese ,Scandinavic, or German beers,but a few of them are great)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k6062…

you can find CRAFT bottled beer ,IMHO it is one of the best, in many large supermarkets (unfortunately there are no really large SM in the center of ATHENS but with a bit of luck you might find one.

Most of the production of the other microbreweries is mostly for restaurant use or local consumption.

The best commercial beer available anywhere is VERGINA ,the only beer produced with top quality WATER (THE most essential ingredient in beer) from the Rodopi mountain in northern Greece.

FIX beer is also available everywhere,it is really trendy these days and it is REALLY good (especially the DARK beer) since the guy who is producing it is crazy about beer and has the best hops in Greece (he cultivates a Chech variety in Evia)

Edited: 12:53 pm, February 19, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
2. Re: Athenian Brewery

Thanks kitsos for your reply! :)

I've already tried Fix Pils and Fix Dark beer and really like them, to be honest they're better than Mythos.

I also found Vergina in Athens, and three types of Craft beer (lager, pilsner and weiss) but I'd like to try something from keg/ tap bar.

I'm also beer coaster collector, but I found it almost impossible to find some Greek beer mats/coasters in Greek bars.

I must agree with you - I hate Amstel and Heineken, we've many great beers in Poland, but I'd like to taste as many beers as I've an opportunity to.

Edited: 1:03 pm, February 19, 2013
Berlin, Germany
3. Re: Athenian Brewery

You can sample some great beer from Crete in this restaurant (GREAT restaurant btw)

http://katsourbos.com/eng/index.php

There is also a killer souvlaki place nearby that serves a really great local beer (the name escapes me) the name of the place is PIGIPOPOULO and it is located neat PROSCOPON SQ. (THE most interesting sq.in Athens at the moment on ARCHELAOU street)

Try also the local breweries like VINI in Koukaki (do a google search)

Mitilíni, Lesvos...
4. Re: Athenian Brewery

I've tried this beer from a keg www.magnusmagister.gr/en/bottled_beer.html. Its quite good and Its from Rhodes. Unfortunately I don't know where you can find it in Athens.

Athens, Greece
reviews: 2
5. Re: Athenian Brewery

Correct link . www.magnusmagister.gr/en/bottled_beer.html .

Mitilíni, Lesvos...
6. Re: Athenian Brewery

Hmm, as we say "¨οποιος βιάζεται σκοντάφτει - whoever is in a hurry, falls". Thanks

Warsaw, Poland
7. Re: Athenian Brewery

I've just booked nice hotel on Crete as well, in April. Stalida area - do you guys know where I can find some good beer from Crete? any good restaurants/pubs/tawernas?

Plakias, Greece
reviews: 5
8. Re: Athenian Brewery

Hello Karin

The only cretan beer I know is Brink's, the factory is a little drive south from Rethymnon, as far as I know they like to welcome visitors. It is an organic, unfiltered beer, here the link: http://www.brinks-beer.gr/index.php/en

Where in Stalida you can get it, I do not know, but if you contact the factory, they will be able to tell you.

If you really like to have coasters and do not find them, come to visit me, I have Craft coasters.

Cheers!

Warsaw, Poland
9. Re: Athenian Brewery

Thanks Monica for your reply! :)

Yes, indeed it's very hard to find beer coasters in Greece I must say :) but in the other hand you can treat it like a real challange ;)

From Crete I know "Charma Beer" I hope it will be easily reachable in supermarkets.

10. Re: Athenian Brewery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 02, 2014