We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monistiraski to airport

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 5
Monistiraski to airport

Is this a direct route or do I have to transfer and if so at what station ?

Athens, Greece
reviews: 2
1. Re: Monistiraski to airport

It is direct at metro line 'Egaleo Airport '

Lines for airport pass every half hour.They are announced at the information boards, and the trains at the front write 'Airport '

Edmonton, Canada
2. Re: Monistiraski to airport

Am I correct in saying that this is Athens Line 3 ?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Stoupa, Finikounda, Petalidi, Athens
reviews: 55
3. Re: Monistiraski to airport

It's the blue line. You can't go wrong as you go down into the metro, it is well signed for each line & all written in English as well as Greek. 'Airport' is displayed on all relevant directions.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
reviews: 8
4. Re: Monistiraski to airport

It is indeed line 3, but no one knows it by the number here :)

Majority of people go by the color. All signs have the color on top and i doubt you 'll see the number anywhere :)

So, to put it simple, Blue line is the one passing from Monastiraki and going to the airport. Red and Green is the oter two lines.

Example; apn.gr/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/AM_Akropol…

Edmonton, Canada
5. Re: Monistiraski to airport

Thanks Nick. The wife and I will be visiting Athens in May and are still deciding how to get to and from our apartment. I was told that I would have to transfer at some point between the airport and Syntagma Square. But it is obvious that it is a continous trip to and from the airport.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
6. Re: Monistiraski to airport

Hey and welcome Barry N:-) If your apartment is in Monasteraki area, the metro is a straight run from the airport.. takes about 40 min or so costing 14E for the 2 of you.. announcements are made.. and get ready to get off by the stop before at Syntagma Square which is more or less Times Square at rush hour all the time, lol!! It's a busy station.. lots of folks getting on/off.. so be prepared!

Having said that.. and coming the distance.. you've got choices;-) See how you feel after the long haul.. bottom line, you can always jump in a cab for door to door service at a flat rate of 35E by day;-) There's even a dedicated express bus X95 for 5E p/p that'll take you straight to Syntagma Square.. you can hop in a cab from there for the onward journey as well;-) Happy planning.. and enJOY!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
reviews: 8
7. Re: Monistiraski to airport

<and get ready to get off by the stop before at Syntagma Square which is more or less Times Square at rush hour all the time, lol!! It's a busy station.. lots of folks getting on/off.. so be prepared!>

Indeed. One more vote. It is convenient but do prepare earlier ( and have a money belt or inner pouch, either you use the metro or the taxi, for this first day you arrive and the one you depart - taht's a common advise in all big cities when you arrive with hands busy with luggage ).

Athens, Greece
reviews: 12
8. Re: Monistiraski to airport

When you are in Athens and want to go to the airport, you have to make sure you board an airport bound train. All blue line trains will go up until Doukissis Plakentias station (which is the terminal station for Athens proper). Only once in every 30 minutes the train will continue all the way to the airport. So you either wait in central Athens in order to board the correct train ( there are led signs informing you about departure times) or you board whatever train comes and then do the waiting at Doukisis Plakentias station. Theres no need to leave the platform. Just check the sign to see when the next airport train will arrive.

I ve seen countless times puzzled tourists freaking out when they realise the train will terminate there.

Proastiakos (suburban) from the airport to Doukisis Plakentias follows exactly the same route (same tracks) as the metro. Since you re not interested in any of the suburban stations that follow after Doukisis Plakentias, theres no need to take that instead of the metro.

Edmonton, Canada
9. Re: Monistiraski to airport

Funny that you should mention bus X 95 as I am thinking that might be my choice of transport to Syntagma,and catch the blue line to our apartment. Thanks for your info.

Edited: 9:29 am, February 15, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
10. Re: Monistiraski to airport

Hey again Barry N:-) Well, that wouldn't be my choice alternate route, lol!! The stop at Syntagma Square is a very busy one.. taking it for only 1 stop.. wiith luggage, doesn't really make much sense to me, lol!! Chances are.. depending where your property is in Monasteraki area.. you can even walk it;-) Syntagma Square and Monateraki are very close and merge/blend at some point with some streets pedestrianized.. a cab would be my choice if you take the bus and have luggage.. If you opt for the metro, just get on it at the start of the run at the airport.. it'll be empty at that point except for the folks that get on there at the airport.. getting on at Syntagma Square .. with luggage.. for 1 stop.. at a couple of the busiest metro stops may prove more of a hassle than anything else, IMO;-) EnJOYin'!