We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current situation in Athens, Greece

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Current situation in Athens, Greece

Hello friends ...

Me and my wife going to Athens, Greece on April 2013.

Today we read anarticle on BBC and after reading we are bit worried regarding the safety issues.

Please someone who lives in Athens or anybody who visited Athens recently could tell me how the situation in there?

Does police detain and harass the normal tourists ?

The link of the BBC article is below :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20958353

79 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
reviews: 7
1. Re: Current situation in Athens, Greece

This is disappointing, but I don't think you should be concerned. Over 10 million tourists visit Greece every year and out of all of those, there were 2 misunderstandings. Probability of it happening is very low...

Athens, Greece
reviews: 12
2. Re: Current situation in Athens, Greece

I m really ashamed to say that, but in case you are white British you ll have no problem whatsoever with the police in Greece.

If however you are Asian or Black/Caribbean you should carry your passport at all times, just in case you come across ignorant over zealous police officers like the ones that caused the BBC incident.

Ofcourse theres a very slight chance of anything like that happening again.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 65
3. Re: Current situation in Athens, Greece

I'm pleased that this thread has been left on - there were a couple of links to the article yesterday which seem to have disappeared.

Some may argue that this is political and not travel-related, but it is concerned with the safety of tourists, and so in my opinion is directly travel-related.

Let's hope there are no more instances of this disgusting behaviour, and that the guilty officers are severely dealt with.

Athens, Georgia
reviews: 4
4. Re: Current situation in Athens, Greece

No have nothing to worry about!!!!!!

Athens is great city(was there whit the wife last week) just enjoy it(specially the great food).

Bridgnorth, United...
reviews: 7
5. Re: Current situation in Athens, Greece

Hi anirban4ever, Have no fears about visiting Greece, Just remenber to behave as you would in any part of the world. If you are very unfortunate to be checked by the police, just remember they are just doing their job, Smile, and comply in a friendly way. An abusive attitude will just be regarded as cause to check further. And no the police do not detain and harass the normal tourists. Have a great time, and enjoy your stay.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
reviews: 8
6. Re: Current situation in Athens, Greece

Please, also do remember that carrying proper identification documents is mandatory in Greece, all the time whether you live here or you are a visitor. This does not apply in Greece only, but in other countries too.

Italy for example has the same requirement, where you can't even go to an Internet cafe if you don't have proper id.

Not having an id document when checked = automatic adduction and detention.

Is this being followed?

In simple words: Yes and it applies for all, visitors or not, for decades.

Edited: 4:39 am, January 11, 2013
Yorkshire Dales
reviews: 26
7. Re: Current situation in Athens, Greece

This story is very unfortunate and it would be easy to think that there is a bigger problem than there is in Greece.

I don't know Athens but as an avid newspaper reader, I do know that these stories crop up every now and again in cities all over the world.

It would seem that in times of stress whether they are economic or social, certain types of people in positions of power, take advantage and throw their weight around.

These people are very much in the minority, thank goodness and have, I suspect, on going prejucises and frustrations............They feel these circumstances allow them the freedom to give vent to them with impunity.

These isolated incidents make good 'sensational' headlines but it mustn't put people off as they happen everywhere.

Don't worry and enjoy Greece! :O) :O)

Edited: 4:44 am, January 11, 2013
Yorkshire Dales
8. Re: Current situation in Athens, Greece

* prejudices

Sorry! :O(

Edited: 4:47 am, January 11, 2013
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
reviews: 8
9. Re: Current situation in Athens, Greece

Article is so biased that is nauseating.

------------------------------

<Hyun Young Jung

"I travelled through Azerbaijan, Mongolia, Kazakhstan and Armenia but I never felt in as much danger as in Athens," he says. "Whenever people ask me if they should visit Greece I tell them to go to Turkey instead.">

lol, really? Turkey is in civil war more than 30 years, with 6 - 7 bomb explosions in very central points in Istanbul, each year.

---------------------------------

<Christian Ukwuorji, who also lodged an official complaint against the police with the help of the American Embassy, has now been waiting for more than six months for an outcome. "The police there are very corrupt and nothing will be done about it," he says. "I have learned that this is how Greece is.">

Nauseating for a distinguished mean like BBC to have this as last line.

I guess the guy shot in the London metro some years ago could also say "The police in UK are very corrupt and nothing will be done about it. I have learned that this is how UK is".

-----------------------------

Police violence can be a problem anywhere. Generalising it and making people this happens anywhere and anytime, getting them to a travel forum to express concerns is nauseating.

It's 3 people in 12,000,000 visitors. It shouldn't happen, never indeed; but more people break their leg or twist their elbow climbing down a hill in Greece, than this. Much more.

Edited: 4:50 am, January 11, 2013
Yorkshire Dales
10. Re: Current situation in Athens, Greece

I can understand your exasperation nick as I haven't felt as safe ANYWHERE as I do when in Greece.

BTW I suspect that any victim of this kind of crime is going to be emotional about their treatment and become a little (?) irrational about their feelings towards the country it happened in.

I blame the newspapers for reporting, without balance,as if it is a commonplace occurance.

Reply to: Current situation in Athens, Greece
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted