We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stuttgart, Germany
reviews: 86
where to stay?

We are arriving on last Sunday of April 2013. We are landing at 22.00 and are with 3 year old child. We are travelling only by public transport.

My question is where should we book hotel in Athens? Do we get any transportation means by late night or should we stay for 1 night near airport and then on next day move towards city centre?

Also regarding tourist destinations in Athens, which area we should choose to stay so that major destinations are easily accessible (may be by walking or by bus or metro or tram)?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 39
1. Re: where to stay?

Hey and welcome varsha156:-) You have a couple of great choices with transport from airport into Athens central;-) The Blue Line metro takes around 40 min to get to Syntagma Square.. a good central area to stay.. along with a dedicated Express Bus X95 (which also ends up at Syntagma Square) runs 24X7.. takes about same time but is traffic dependent so can go either way;-) You'll find the Athens Airport a modern, efficient and user- friendly one all under 1 roof or terminal building.. once you get through formalities/luggage retreival and exit into the arrival's hall, you'll find the bus easy enough.. right in front of the cab line;-) You can check out the airport at it's official site at www.aia.gr/

As far as hotels, central areas include Syntagma Square, Plaka, Monasteraki..they prettymuch blend into each other.. lots of it pedestrianized and great for walking;-) Many sites are conveniently located centrally as well making these areas an excellent choice! If you provide a budget spread in Euros, am sure you'll get some great recs to start checking out;-) For starters, you may want to take a look at The Amalia, Amazon, Cypria and Central Hotels which are easily walkable from Sytagma Square from both the metro and bus;-) Happy planning.. Happy New Year.. and enJOY!

Edited: 9:49 am, December 30, 2012
Stuttgart, Germany
2. Re: where to stay?

Hey Litsa, Thank you very much for your information.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
3. Re: where to stay?

My pleasure varsha156:-) Keep us posted on the plannin'.. and keep enJOYin'!

Stuttgart, Germany
4. Re: where to stay?

Litsa, as you have insisted me to post on our planning, I would not loose this opportunity to get expert advices.

We have roughly planned out. on 28 April by 22.00 will reach Athens airport.

On 8th May early in the morning we have return flight again from Athens. In this duration we wish to visit Delphi (1 night stay), Naxos and Santorini. We are planing for 3-4 night stay on Naxos island and then from there visit Santorini as a day tour. regarding this I have a few questions -

1) if we catch a early morning bus from Delphi, can we get a ferry to naxos on the same day from Piraeus ?

2) Is there 1 day tour to Santorini from Naxos?

3) what else we can include in our tour?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
5. Re: where to stay?

Hey again:-) Well, in regards to #1, you can keep an eye out at www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ Although the ferry is usually an early morning one, there may be an afternoon one as well but bottom line, would not be looking to do in same day;-) The bus trip to/from Delphi takes about 3 hours.. would look to do that portion of your trip while on the mainland.. unless you opt to fly?!

Having said that.. looks like you're got 10 nights.. with your first night a late arrival at 10p .. makes it a bit difficult to plan anything other than a stay in Athens!

Given that arrival.. and in order not to loose any precious time.. I'd first choose whether to do isles first.. or land;-) If you opt for isles.. would book a flight out to Naxos for following day.. if land, would head to Delphi the following day for your overnighter.. returning to Athens possibly in time to catch the flight to Naxos? FWIW, flights to Naxos are usually only once a day offered by www.olympicair.com/.. if you opt to fly to Santorini, you'll find lots more options available on www.aegeanair.com/ as well..and can ferry over to Naxos from there! You can sign up for email alerts with both carriers now.. Aegean is known to offer some great deals throughout the year;-) Isle flights are short as well.. around 40 min or so.. and huge timesaver!

In response to #2.. there are excusions offered to Santorini for the day.. but don't know if it will be operating that early in Season.. and even if it is.. it's not daily.. usually they start up with demand for the most part;-) I don't know your travel style.. but given you'll also have a 3 year old with you.. you may want to consider..

Apr 28 - arrival and o/n Athens

Apr 29 - If doable for you, grab early bus to Delphi.. and overnight

Apr 30 - If there is an afternoon Olympic flight to Naxos, consider heading back in time to make it.. otherwise.. take a flight convenient for you to Santorini for overnight

May 01 - o/n in Santorini

May 02- o/n in Santorini or ferry over to Naxos

May 3-6 Naxos

May 6 - Fly or ferry back to Athens for finale;-) Spend the nights of the 6th and 7th in Athens and fly home on the 8th;-)

Of course, this is just a sample itinerary.. depending on schedules when you're there.. you can certainly re-arrange to suit.. but do bear in mind that end April early May can still be on the cool side.. especially early mornings.. the evenings..basically, when the sun isn't out;-) and Greek Easter falls on May 5th this year where travel gets heavy with locals traveling around visiting families.. heading to the isles so you'd definitely need to pre-arrange for that weekend;-) Also bear in mind that Monday, the 6th, will probably be a busy travel day as well with many heading back to their homes;-) I do think spending Easter on an isle.. Naxos in this case, would be a wonderful experience;-) If Santorini is not on your 'must-see' list, you can certainly just spend the entire time on Naxos and take your time getting there.. again, doubt much there will be daily excursions that early.. but you never know! So if you're not disappointed in missing Santorini, makes your trip all that more relaxed.. if you don't mind moving around and Santorini is a definite in your itinerary, consider just flying there for a couple of nights before heading to Naxos;-) Choices. choices, lol;-)) Best.. keep enJOYin'!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
reviews: 43
6. Re: where to stay?

Day excursions from Naxos do not start until mid June 2013:

greeka.com/cyclades/…naxos-tours.htm

Stuttgart, Germany
7. Re: where to stay?

Hello,

Thanks Litsa for your extended itinerary. I will definitely work on it.

@ greek-traveller, Thanks for updating me with ferry schedule.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
8. Re: where to stay?

;-)

9. Re: where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 06, 2014