We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with a location to stay. Specific criteria

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria
reviews: 5
Help with a location to stay. Specific criteria

My husband and I are traveling to Athens in late January. It's our first visit. I know everyone goes to Greece for the museums and architecture etc., but we travel to experience the culture of a city. The neighborhoods, the restaurants, the coffee shops, the people. We don't like to stay in the usual touristy neighborhoods. We're not looking for an inexpensive place to stay. We're looking for someplace with nice rooms and king sized beds.

I would love it if someone could recommend an area or some places that fit this description. I'm also wondering if we'd enjoy staying at a seaside resort. We love the ocean even when it's not warm. Thank you!

Berlin, Germany
1. Re: Help with a location to stay. Specific criteria

The touristic places in Athens are also the interesting places since they are in the center of the city and for the most part in the historical center,the rest of the city is very bland and quite ugly ( car infested residential areas near the city center and uninteresting bland suburbia in the northern and southern suburbs,western and eastern suburbs are blue collar poor areas w/ nothing to see or experience).

So my advice is to stay in Syntagma,Plaka,Akropolis,Monastiraki (all these are in fact a 3 sq mile .area joined together) or Kolonaki if you are looking for something posher (Kolonaki is also very close to the a/m areas).

The best hotel in Athens is Grand Bretagne followed by Hilton,if you have the money I strongly recommend it.

The seaside during Jan. will be empty and boring.

Edited: 10:31 pm, December 20, 2012
Athens, Greece
reviews: 2
2. Re: Help with a location to stay. Specific criteria

Ιf you want to explore the city there are specific books and applications like "greekcitywalks" at bookstores and internet .

The problem in Athens is that the most beautiful parts like Filothei or Psychiko(where they have signed walk paths or Kifissia with designateted bike ways ) are "sleeping towns " that is residential only without any shops thus ultimately boring for a tourist,especially the former than the latter

A more easy way in my view is to participate at various bike rides that occur at the evenings around the city with a rent bike,provided you have contacted with the hotel where to keep it because these rides stop after midnight and it is not safe to leave a bicycle on the street.

Other places for urban exploration are "Siggrou forest " at KAT metro station.

It has nice nature and the market of Kifissia is nearby

Also interesting is "Tritsi park ". www.parkotritsi.gr/english/access-bycar.htm .

Other favorite places of Athenians for pique-nique,walking and mountain biking are the former royal estates at Tatoi (Parnitha mountain ) or Kesarianis monastery at Imittos mountain

But if I were you I would see first the "touristic places "

Edited: 2:58 am, December 21, 2012
Victoria
3. Re: Help with a location to stay. Specific criteria

Thanks for the help. I guess we'll probably stay at the Hilton so we can use our points unless this is a bad choice.

London, United...
reviews: 8
4. Re: Help with a location to stay. Specific criteria

I can't afford either, but if I could, I'd have no hesitation: it would be the Grand Bretagne. Why stay in a soulless concrete box a long walk or two metro stops away from the very centre of things when you could stay in what is probably one of the most elegant, sophisticated hotels in the world, right IN that centre?

I wouldn't call the Hilton a "bad" choice. But it's not the choice I would make.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 33
5. Re: Help with a location to stay. Specific criteria

.. great choice JadeVictoria.. and welcome:-) Make sure to head up the Galaxy Bar there and take in some great views along with a glass or 2 of some wine.. some maybe some mezes.. and EnjoY!

EDIT: Just saw Alabastron's post.. have to agree.. if you can swing www.grandebretagne.gr/ hands down..place to go;-) If you've got the points, Hilton will work.. but most definitely not the same experience;-)

Edited: 5:25 pm, December 22, 2012
Victoria
6. Re: Help with a location to stay. Specific criteria

We would love to stay there, but it is over our budget at 200 Euros per night for the best offer.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
7. Re: Help with a location to stay. Specific criteria

No worries.. with points, you should be happy campers at the Hilton;-) It's a bit out of 'center' but not a far walk.. maybe half an hour.. depending on pace;-) You can also hop on the metro right there for 1 quick stop to Syntamga Square where you'll find the Parliament Building with it's infamous Evzones..changing of the guard;-) From there, you're in Athens Central.. you can pretty much walk to anywhere..from Plaka to Akropolis (don't miss the New Akropolis Museum).. to Monasteraki.. Keremaikos.. Gazi;-) Download a good map.. hopefully, someone will kick in with one (Nick here has a great one outlining walks, tavernas, cafes, sites, along the way-) Keep enjoyin'!

Victoria
8. Re: Help with a location to stay. Specific criteria

We are finding some good deals on King George's Palace, breakfast included and wifi. Any thoughts on this hotel?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
9. Re: Help with a location to stay. Specific criteria

..It's smack next to the Grande Bretagne Hotel on Syntamga Square;-) Stayed at both and FWIW, GB all the way, but the King George is a beautiful property.. no question there.. another top property in the City;-) This one Street on the Square houses 3 hotels only.. nothing else.. The King Geroge is smack inbetween them:-) Have you checked out the reviews here on all the properties mentioned?;-) Take a look.. may help you decide:-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

Berlin, Germany
10. Re: Help with a location to stay. Specific criteria

> Why stay in a soulless concrete box<

You are kidding right?

HILTON is FAR from a concrete box,it is a monument of MODERN architecture (built in 1963) and the facade decorated by none other than MORALIS...

It also has THE best rooftop bar,a KILLER (and CHEAP to boot) fish restaurant (Mylos) and yes it is....200 meters away from Megaron Musikis metro station and 250 meters away from Evangelismos metro station so if you are a 100 years old...you MIGHT have problems reaching them...:):)

It is also 5 minutes from Kolonaki ,for nightlife and nice bars, by foot and close to many museums (National Gallery,Benaki ,War Museum etc)

Edited: 12:16 am, December 23, 2012