We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel convenient for sightseeing, + easy access to airport?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Hotel convenient for sightseeing, + easy access to airport?

I am going with friends on a cruise that ends in Athens. I've been there before and seen the major sights. But my pals haven't been to Athens and want to see the Acropolis etc. so they want an overnight there after the cruise.

I really don't want to stay in Athens itself. Can anyone recommend an area (beach or waterfront, maybe? Other?) where we can easily get into Athens for a day of sightseeing, then easy access to the airport the next morning? I'd like a nice hotel that would be relaxing for this last night....maybe a nice bar/lounge with views or something like that? thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
1. Re: Hotel convenient for sightseeing, + easy access to airport?

Hey and welcome suezgfla:-) Wow, with that kind of finale night, chances are I wouldn't want to move from the bar/beach, lol;-))

Yes, there are properties available that would fit the bill.. but with what looks like barely a day, why not just stay IN Town?! Are you Amex Starwood?! Take a look at www.spg.com/ where you'll see properties out in the burbs by the beach.. easily commutable to the City (traffic dependent.. of course that can take some time;-) Do you have a budget spread?! Bottom line, to get a full day in for your friends to see the sites.. a museum (have you checked out the New Akropolis Museum?.. SO worth it;-) nonetheless, you really need to devote at least 2 nights to get that full day out of it! Your call of course.. but would seriously consider staying in Town if you friends have never been to Athens.. and have a fab, fun day exploring the sites and the City;-) Happy planning.. and EnjoY!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
reviews: 8
2. Re: Hotel convenient for sightseeing, + easy access to airport?

If it's in your price range go for the Grande Bretagne Hotel.

Simple.

I 'd take any central hotel with a good roof top anytime over a suburban hotel, if it was for one day.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 10
3. Re: Hotel convenient for sightseeing, + easy access to airport?

Here's another vote for staying in Athens. Why waste time travelling to the sights/sites your friends want to see when you could be snug in a good hotel with a view of the Acropolis, and be a short walk from it and all your other destinations?

Stay at the GB, as Nick suggests, if you can afford it. And do stay two nights if you can, as Litsa suggests. Athens isn't a city to be given short shrift.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
4. Re: Hotel convenient for sightseeing, + easy access to airport?

.. I couldn't agree more with Nick's suggestion.. www.grandebretagne.gr/ is an SPG property you'll find on their site;-) If you can swing it, think you'll find it super convenient.. as well as majorly enjoyable!!

New York City, New...
5. Re: Hotel convenient for sightseeing, + easy access to airport?

Another solid option if you're not looking to spend so much is the Hotel Stanley. It's just out of the city center, but right on top of a metro station and just a few stops away from the Acropolis/the other sites and attractions. They have a fantastic view of the city and Acropolis, with a rooftop restaurant and enclosed/heated rooftop bar. The GB is great, but if you're looking for something much less expensive (about 50-60 Euro a night this time of year) and still want fantastic views of the city - I would recommend the Stanley. Enjoy!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 143
6. Re: Hotel convenient for sightseeing, + easy access to airport?

With such a short time, I wouldn't want to stay outside the city. I stayed at the Central Hotel in the Plaka and my room had a view of the Acropolis - floodlit at night: gorgeous. Good and quick taxi ride to the airport

7. Re: Hotel convenient for sightseeing, + easy access to airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 31, 2013