We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Visit

We will be in Athens this Nov via our cruise. Was wondering if we should take a tours true our cruise ship or is it feasable to arrange our own itinerary and is it easy to travel from the ship and comming back

Devizes, United...
reviews: 309
1. Re: Visit

Hi there

It's easy to do it yourself, just take a taxi or the Metro from Piraeus to Monastiraki Square and begin your walking tour from there. Central Athens is safe, flat, and easy to navigate, plus all the major outdoor sights are within a very compact area.

If you invest in a decent map of central ASthens, such as the "Rough Guide map of Athens", it shows all the sights and much more, and really shows how close they are to each other and how simple to reach, regardless of where you start from. If you are berthing early, I'd advise heading for the Acropolis first, it opens at 8am, and really starts to fill up by 10am. Just allow plenty of time to get back to your ship prior to sailing.

Masham, Quebec...
reviews: 3
2. Re: Visit

GB got it right. The only thing I would do different is take the taxi from Piraeus

to the Acropolis to be there as early as possible then walk down to the Plaka.

Like GB says get a good Map so when you get back home only to find "we missed this and that" you may never return although my wife and I have been to Greece and its Island 7 time and may just return, if old age gives me a break.

Now get out there and enjoy.

Marc and Gisele

3. Re: Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, December 14, 2013