We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to get through customs at Athens airport

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 109
How long to get through customs at Athens airport

We are travelling with our 9 and 10 year old children from the US in early July with connections through Paris and Athens with a final destination to Astypalea. We will have approximately 1 hour anda half between our arrival at Athens airport and our plane departing for Astypalea Island. Is this enough time or should I plan on spending 1 night in a hotel near the airport?

26 replies to this topic
London, United...
1. Re: How long to get through customs at Athens airport

Should be plenty. If you're coming from Paris, you won't be going through customs in Athens anyway (unless I'm missing something)!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
2. Re: How long to get through customs at Athens airport

Hey and welcome lovetennis99:-) I would not feel comfortable with that connection..especially if it isn't a through flight where you'd be covered onwards to the isle from Athens! If, in Athens, you need to collect luggage and recheck in, would give yourselves at least a couple of hours..just to cover for any delays coming in from Paris..which I'm assumint is the through flight via Paris from the States with luggage retreival in Athens?;-) IMO, no reason to start the vaca stressed out and 'wondering' if you'll make it;-) Happy planning..and EnjoY!

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
3. Re: How long to get through customs at Athens airport

France and Greece are in the Schengen Zone, there will be no passport/customs checks in Athens or Asytapaia.

Edited: 11:22 pm, April 22, 2012
Pitt Meadows, Canada
reviews: 5
4. Re: How long to get through customs at Athens airport

Do you know if we have to go through customs from Rome landing in Athens. We are Canadian citizens and will have been in Rome for 3 days prior to arriving in Athens. Thank you.

Also do you know how long it will take to collect our 2 bags and be able to get transportation to Piraeus?

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
5. Re: How long to get through customs at Athens airport

Italy is in the Schengen Zone too. There will be no controls in Athens. Athens airport is pretty efficient, I don't remember waiting longer than 15 minutes for my bag.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
6. Re: How long to get through customs at Athens airport

Hey and welcome organizedbag:-) You'll go through 'passport control' in Rome;-) Once in Athens, you'll simply retreive your luggage.. and if grabbing the dedicated Express X96 bus to Piraeus, I'd give the whole process a couple of hours minimum .. the bus is traffic dependent getting out to Piraeus.. can take as little as an hour.. or more;-) Keep enjoyin' all!

Pitt Meadows, Canada
reviews: 5
7. Re: How long to get through customs at Athens airport

Thank you for the fast response. We were planning to take the X96 but since we're not getting in till 3:30 and the ship sails at 7 we ended up booking the ships transfer so hopefully they'll wait for us if there are any delays :)

ld Coast Australia
8. Re: How long to get through customs at Athens airport

hello everyone we arrive in rome fco at 755 and assuming the kite is on time how much time should we allow to get through customs then a train from airport to rome central to connect a high speed train from rome central to milan I am looking at a high speed out of rome at 12pm should that do it. does anyone think thanks all

Australia
reviews: 24
9. Re: How long to get through customs at Athens airport

Vagamota, this is the Athens forum. Please repost your question in the Italy/Rome forum.

Morristown, New...
10. Re: How long to get through customs at Athens airport

Our flight from Montreal Canada arrives in Athens at 10:30. We plan to have carry on luggage only. How much time should we allow to connect with Olympic or Aegean air for a flight to Santorini?

Reply to: How long to get through customs at Athens airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted