We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ephesus from Athens

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
reviews: 21
Ephesus from Athens

Hi everyone...

Need some help. I am going to be in Athens in June for a week and would like to try and make a stop over in Ephesus.

Can anyone give me different options on how to get there. I haven't been able to find much detailed information.

Thanks!

Yaz

Bucharest
1. Re: Ephesus from Athens

You have to take the ferry to Samos and then cross to Turkey, Kusadasy. From there buses go to Ephesus.

These beeing said, in order to see Ephesus (and not to rush through the site) and to add the Ephesus Museum in Selcuk, you will need a full day, not only the 6 hours between the morning and afternoon boats to/from Kusadasy. It means that you will need a day to go to Samos, 1 night spent there, boat to Kusadasi, one night in Selkuk/Kusadasi, then another night in Samos and one day to return to Athens. No much time left for Athens and too much time spent traveling. It may seem small on the map, but to couple Athens and Ephesus is not convenient. In my opinion, your time would be much better spent exploring Athens and, if you are interested by ancient sites, adding day trips to Epidaurus, Delphi, Sounio, Aegina.

Boston
2. Re: Ephesus from Athens

Thanks for the tip.

I am assuming if I fly into and out of samos back to athens that it will make it all more doable in one week. Do you know what's a good place to look for ferry information in the turkey ports.

Thanks...

Athens, Greece
reviews: 5
3. Re: Ephesus from Athens

turkeytravelplanner.com/trans/Ship/GreekIsla…

turkeytravelplanner.com/trans/Ship/domestic_…

Bucharest
4. Re: Ephesus from Athens

Apart from the regular ferries, there are also excursion boats that leave both Samos and Kusadasi in the morning and return in the evening. In August they were daily, no ieea about june. You could, for instance, leave in the afternoon (about 4-5 pm) from Samos with a greek boat, spend the night either in Kusadasy or even better in Selcuk, see the sites and return in the evening of the second day with a Turkish boat. The disadvantage is that in each case you have to pay both ways, the boats offer day tours (start at 9-10 am with retirn at 4-5 pm) and not one-way crossings.

Boston
5. Re: Ephesus from Athens

So would you say that it's better to Arrive in Kud/Sel in the evening rather than the morning.

And is spending morning (part of the afternoon) enough time in the Ephesus?

As an alternative and on a related note.

If I arrived into the Samos Island via airplane at 7am, is there enough time for me to make it to an 8:30am ferry boat to Kud.?

Tough questions, but I need some help with itineraries!?

Thanks!!

Bucharest
6. Re: Ephesus from Athens

An day excursion boat from Samos will leave at 9 or 10 am from Vathy, make about 30 min to Kusadasy and leave Kusadasi at 4 or 5 am (I could be wrong on the exact hours because we did the crossing several years ago and from Turkey to Samos, but I suppose the opposite works the same). It will take some time to pass through the passport control/visa formalities (20 min?) and usually a bus to Ephesus and back is offered as part of the day tour. By bus, my estimate will be that you will reach Ephesus in about 1 hr. This leaves you 3-4 hrs (all are estimates, sorry not to be able to give more info) for Ephesus, which is enough for the site but not for anything else. My initial suggestion was make in order to include also the Ephesus museum in Selcuk.

We stayed in Kusadasy and starting at 9 am we took buses and including Ephesus, Ephesus museum and St John Basilica + short lunch somwhere around Ephesus+ wonderful dinner in Selcuk we were back to the hotel at about 10 pm. But I have to mention that we tend to take a lot more time than most of the tourists in order to see ancient ruins and our main interest is cultural, therefore we absolutely wanted to see the museum also (where the finds from Ephesus are displayed). The same tour in a group with a guide lasted about 2 hrs.

About Samos: it is one of the Greek islands where there are plenty of taxis, they all use meters and we found them very convenient and not to expensive. No ideea about the airport (we never flown in Samos) but everywhere we could call one or ask shop owners,

waiters, people at travel agencies and even museum guards to call one for us. Therefore, if time is short, a taxi to port could be a good option and I suppose there is a taxi station at the airport and enough taxis there (a situation quite unusual in a Greek island).

In Vathi there is a very well laid and quite large Archeology museum with interesting finds from the island, well worth a visit if you have time (for instance I never saw elswere the bronze dragon heads displayed there). Near Pythagorio, the second port of the island, you can visit the Evpalinos Tunnel, a masterpiece of ancient technology, and the remains of the Heraion (Samos was the center of the Hera cult in Greece). Not much have remained from the Heraion, therefore if you have to cut something this will be the first choice. Samos was also the birthplace of Pithagora (who left the island because of his bad relation with the local thyrant); shops sell "dikta cupa", a cup devised by Pithagora that empty itself if the level of the liquid is too high; worth at least a look and it's a good souvenir ideea. Another type of vessel that you can find only in Samos is the "mascara bardak", a vessel with several holes; you have to find the right ones to cover with your fingers and the right one to drink from in order not to spill the liquid.

Samos is also a very perfumed island; they have several hundreds of aromatic plants growing in the island and the during the summer smell is a mixture of jasmin and eucalyptus; a pity that after 1-2 days your nose became used and you cannot perceive it anymore.

We found the people in Samos very nice and helpful. ITSA Travel, on the waterfront, offered to keep our luggage while we visited the museum and called us a taxi at the end to go to our hotel in Pythagorio.

Bucharest
7. Re: Ephesus from Athens

Sorry for the bad english and the (many) typing errors. I want to correct the boat returning time: 4-5 pm.

Also when I said that a guided tour will take 2 hours I was referring to the Ephesus site (not including transportation).

Boston
8. Re: Ephesus from Athens

Thank you so much for your help!

9. Re: Ephesus from Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, September 28, 2009