We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens-Islands planning. PLEASE HELP!

Which Greece hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Athens-Islands planning. PLEASE HELP!

Me and some friends are going to greece in Mid April for about 6 days. Tentative Itinerary looks like

2 days in athens - 3 days on islands - 1 day in athens

The Part I need the most help with planning the Island part. We are thinking of Corfu or Santorini with a one day trip to an island close to of them. I have been told it will be difficult to get around neighboring islands around Corfu at that time of year. Is that true?

If not then any suggestions on Islands. If we do Santorini, any suggestions on a neighboring Island at that time of year?

We are in our mid twenties looking to spend the days sight seeing and exploring nature and our nights partying it up. I am open to any suggestions or stories you may have. please help.

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 16
1. Re: Athens-Islands planning. PLEASE HELP!

Oh dear me !!! You are in dire need of a scale map, less alcohol, and the Space Shuttle to manage that lot...

Seriously, you don't have anything like enough time for that. 6 days basically means Athens and one island.

You cannot daytrip to nearby islands from Santorini in April.

As for Partying, wrong time of year, think July/August in the islands.

Devizes, United...
reviews: 309
2. Re: Athens-Islands planning. PLEASE HELP!

Hi there

Inter-island travel is somewhar reduced out of season as indeed, mid April is. I'd be inclined to head straight for the island upon arriving in Athens airport, saves time, and hopefully gets you to the island on day one. I really wouldn't suggest more than one island in such a short time frame or you will spend your already too-short-a -time in transit. Save Athens until last, that way, if there is a delay or cancellation with your flight back to Athens from the island, it won't potentially make you miss your homebound flight.

For the best chance of decent weather in April, I'd head as far south or east as you can, so make for Crete, Rhodes or Kos where you stand a better chance of sunshine although the sea will still be cold. They are all within a 50 min flight from Athens

Nothing against Corfu naturally, but it is one of the most northerly Greek islands and statistically, may not be anywhere near as good weather as those islands I've mentioned.

www.aegeanairlines.com for domestic flights

Edited: 1:34 pm, March 17, 2010
NJ
3. Re: Athens-Islands planning. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help...any info will help. I'm sure I will be posting more more questions come up.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
4. Re: Athens-Islands planning. PLEASE HELP!

Indeed! Look at a map, and you will see that Corfu is about the same latitude north as NJ, so I'm not sure what your expectations for mid-April are. My suggestion would be: fly straight to an island for a quick visit, then spend the rest of your time in Athens. The islands will be very quiet, but there's always something going on in Athens.

London, United...
reviews: 33
5. Re: Athens-Islands planning. PLEASE HELP!

Your answer is very funny ! ahahha

I enjoyed a lot ... still I must say that sometimes it difficult to understand distances :)

For a day trip visit / best 2 from Athens - not for sun but for having some taste of Greek Islands - I would suggest to go to Hydra -

tripadvisor.com/…17616357

it's just 2 hours with flying dolphin. Better of course to spend a couple of days !!

ciaoo

ursula

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
6. Re: Athens-Islands planning. PLEASE HELP!

Hey and welcome hani83:-) Sounds like a Spring break;-) For the limited time you have, agree w/the great advise you got here..plan on a flight straight out upon arrival from your trans..you'll be at the airport anyway and flights take no more than approx 35-55min to get to depending on which isle..check www.aegeanairlines.com/ www.olympicair.com/ and head straight out to either Rhodes, Kos..even Santorini if that's your choice..End April can still be on the 'chill' side for the Sea, but when the sun is out, you'll find it wonderful for some sunbathing..and who knows..depending on your tolerance, maybe even a dip! You can fly (or ferry, although these isles are pretty far out there and it will eat up a good part of the day..but IS an experience)..back to Athens for a few days before your flight back to the States..consecutive nights will save you loads of precious time backtracking..as well as ensuring that return flight home! If you provide a budget-srpead, am sure you'll get some great reccs on hotels as well! Have a blast..and EnjoY!

7. Re: Athens-Islands planning. PLEASE HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, September 15, 2010