We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the difference between a hotel and a pousada?

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
reviews: 23
What is the difference between a hotel and a pousada?

We got many recommendations to stay at the Pestana Hotel, Porto, Portugal.

The Reservation Department asked us whether we want a hotel or a Poussada. We believe the recommendations in the forum were for Hotel Pestana.

What is the difference? Please help!

Thanks!

Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 43
1. Re: What is the difference between a hotel and a pousada?

The pousada it's in an historical palace (it's a charm hotel) but out of the city center. pousadas.pt/historic-hotels-portugal/en/pous…

Vilamoura, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
2. Re: What is the difference between a hotel and a pousada?

In general pousadas are wonderful places to stay, but for Porto the Pestana hotel has a great location. You won't regret.

Atlanta
reviews: 51
3. Re: What is the difference between a hotel and a pousada?

Pousadas cost more.

Frequently a pousada is a former "grand site" converted to tourism so as to alleviate large upkeep costs. Large upkeep means high prices which can only be obtained from upper-end to luxury tourist facilities. It's a phenomenon shared by many European countries, most sucessfully in Italy, IMHO.

Different strokes for different folks. I don't much care for spending much money for where I sleep; generally, I don't travel to, uh, sleep - I can do that at home. My wife, who traveled extensively on business feels otherwise. I tend to the family run place where the teen age son carries your bags upstairs whilst practicing his bad high school English and trying to appear professional and hospitable while huffing and puffing and wishes he were elsewhere. OTOH, I'm willing to spend serious money for serious food and wine (or the 10 euro all you can eat buffet). All depends on what floats your boat.

You can stay at the Pestana or for half as much money or less you can rent an apartment 400 meters away with the same views, four times the square meters, and no breakfast or minibar. All depends on what you're after.

Edited: 2:02 am, April 25, 2013
4. Re: What is the difference between a hotel and a pousada?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 27, 2014