We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way river cruises from Porto to Pinhao?

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Waterloo, Canada
reviews: 18
One way river cruises from Porto to Pinhao?

We will be in Porto in mid-June and are considering a cruise up the Douro to Pinhao. We would like to leave the boat and stay in Pinhao for a night or two. Is it possible to take a river cruise just one way with our luggage? Most of the cruises I have read about are either day tourist trips with train/bus included back to Porto or an overnight cruise, which doesn't seem to allow for time to wander in the towns and areas. Suggestions?

Porto, Portugal
reviews: 66
1. Re: One way river cruises from Porto to Pinhao?

Yes, the options include returning to Porto. The only option I see here is you buy the train ticket and forget about the cruise. This will give you freedom and still scenic views. To make it up, do a small "7 bridge cruise" at Porto.

Sofia

Waterloo, Canada
reviews: 18
2. Re: One way river cruises from Porto to Pinhao?

Good advice. I also saw someone mention a short boat tour from Pinhao up the Douro for a bit so that might make the best combination for us. Thanks!

3. Re: One way river cruises from Porto to Pinhao?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:58 pm, April 18, 2013
Moscow, Russia
4. Re: One way river cruises from Porto to Pinhao?

Hi, perhaps you can help me too.

I've read many topics here about Douro Valley trips and I am still confused.

I'd like to see Douro Valley on the cheap (well, I just don't have much money).

Can I take a train to Pinhao (from S. Bento railway station) and then a train back from Pinhao? And then walk around on my own. I don't drive. Or perhaps without a car and boat trip it's just not worth doing and I should forget it and concentrate on Porto (I'll be doing a trip from Porto).

If I still will be able to see beautiful views on my own, would it be better to make it two days trip?

I've read from posters who were dissapointed by the boat trip, which makes me more reluctant to spend money on it.

If anyone knows where to look up approx. price of train to Pinhao it would be cool . Can I buy it online or do I have to buy it in Porto?

Edited: 12:28 pm, April 09, 2013
Porto
5. Re: One way river cruises from Porto to Pinhao?

You can pick a train to Pinhão from Porto-S. Bento or from Porto-Campanhã. All the trains stop at Campanhã but not all, at S. Bento. Take a look at the timetables:

cp.pt/StaticFiles/…porto_regua_pocinho.pdf

The price is no more than 11€ one way