We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shall i take the train or bus to lisbon

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
shall i take the train or bus to lisbon

hi there: i am debating on whether i should take the train or bus from porto to lisbon, the rede expressos bus station is apparently very close to our hotel - b and b centro porto, so would be an easy walk, the other option would be to take the train from porto sao bento station which requires a change at the main porto train station- Campanha > Lisboa - Santa Apolonia. has anyone done both and did they prefer one over the other. i believe the bus would take approx 30mins longer and about 6 euros cheaper. your opinions are very much appreciated...thanks

Edited: 10:46 am, July 07, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
1. Re: shall i take the train or bus to lisbon

I would choose bus. Bus travel in Portugal is a lot of fun. It gives you a chance to see much more of the country and towns the bus is passing. And to experience travel as many locals do.

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: shall i take the train or bus to lisbon

thanks , i am leaning towards taking the bus, less hassle to have to change trains at porto campanha, are the buses reliable, read somewhere , where they may be sometimes delayed from lisbon, or possibly the trip from porto to lisbon may take alot longer because of heavy traffic, any ideas on this

Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 34
3. Re: shall i take the train or bus to lisbon

When are you travelling, weekdays or weekend? Do you plan to take a bus that wil arrive to Lisboa around 7/8pm? Or departing from Porto around 8/9 am? If you avoid rush hour you'll not find heavy traffic. The majority of buses to Lisboa will not have that may stops. I prefer the train because I can move and have more space.

Lisbon
4. Re: shall i take the train or bus to lisbon

Well, it really depends on what you're looking for...

The bus will take you through a few places that you can see a bit closer, while the train is faster and you can stand up and walk around (which is a requirement for me in longer trips).

I confess that I don't take a bus for many years but I find it a bit odd that the difference to the train is just 30 mins. I suspect that you're looking at buses that just hit the highway and go straight to Lisbon (or maybe a couple of stops in major cities, like the train).

So...there goes the opportunity to see more interesting places.

I can't tell you what's best for you.

But I have to travel Lisbon-Porto-Lisbon quite frequently and when I don't do it driving...I take the train.

Cheers,

miguel

Edited: 12:42 pm, July 07, 2012
Toronto, Canada
5. Re: shall i take the train or bus to lisbon

hi there: it would be midweek, july 26, was hoping to catch a bus at 8 am, if i do decide to take the train instead of the bus, any word on disruptions or cancellations on the trains, heard, there were some disruptions on july 4th, thankst

Edited: 4:44 pm, July 07, 2012
Lisbon
6. Re: shall i take the train or bus to lisbon

Hi,

No strikes announced for that period.

But you should check closer to the date.

cheers,

miguel

Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 34
7. Re: shall i take the train or bus to lisbon

You can decide the day before your departure, there's no reason for July 26 to be particularly busy. At 8am that bus will go by the highway and will only have a stop at Fátima.

Virginia
reviews: 30
8. Re: shall i take the train or bus to lisbon

As noted above, you may want to wait to decide a few days before the travel day from Porto to Lisbon. I did the reverse trip (Lisbon to Porto) and found out the day ahead of a proposed train strike. So my friend went on the internet at our hotel and bought bus tickets from Rede Expressos (18.10euro each vs 42euro first class train tkts). Pleasant 3.5 hr ride, no traffic delays with the 10:30 departure, only stop in Fatima's outskirts, and the Porto bus terminal was near the Sao Bento train station. (In Lisbon, near the zoo.) While I don't really know if the trains were in fact on strike on June 13th, the bus was full, so we were glad to have bought our tickets on-line!

Lisbon
9. Re: shall i take the train or bus to lisbon

Yes...buying online (bus or train) the day before is a very good advice.

Vigo, Spain
reviews: 12
10. Re: shall i take the train or bus to lisbon

I've done the bus journey and found it to be perfectly fine! A lot of passengers got off at Fatima so there was plenty space for the second half of the journey and on the way back it was almost empty.

Only word of caution would be to make sure you get the right bus stop/station in Porto! We wrongly assumed that all buses departed from the same place and had to make a mad rush when we realised that the place we had been dropped off from Vigo was not the right departure point for the company we were travelling with.