We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parque Nacional Peneda-Geres from Porto

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough
reviews: 1
Parque Nacional Peneda-Geres from Porto

We are going to Porto, for the second time this year and would like to see the National Park, the train goes to Braga, but is this anywhere near the National Park? We did ask at the Tourist Info kiosk last time we were there, but were told it was not possible to get there.

Any ideas anyone?

Pam

Vilamoura, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
1. Re: Parque Nacional Peneda-Geres from Porto

Would a day-tour suit you? www.oportoadventuretours.com/index.php/en

Lisbon
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 43
2. Re: Parque Nacional Peneda-Geres from Porto

There are bus connections to some areas of the park, but it's not very easy. The ideal would be to have a rented car to go there. There are companies offering day tours there, but IMO, it's a long journey and you'll see only a little area of the park.

Just to give you some references, Melgaço, Arcos de Valdevez and Ponte da Barca are served by Salvador Alves Pereira bus company; Terras de Bouro by Empresa Hoteleira do Gerês and Transdev bus companies; Montalegre by Transdev bus company.

Vilamoura, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
3. Re: Parque Nacional Peneda-Geres from Porto

It's much further than Braga. You need to go to Vilar da Veia by Transdev bus company. Have a look at Google maps to orient yourself?

If a day tour would suit you:

www.oportoadventuretours.com/index.php/en

Peterborough
4. Re: Parque Nacional Peneda-Geres from Porto

Thank you for your messages. I have contacted Porto Tours about their Geres Tour to the National Park and it sounds good. Has anyone else been on this trip?

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 6
5. Re: Parque Nacional Peneda-Geres from Porto

I have not been with Porto Tours but have done a couple of independent visits to the area they cover which is really nice. I see that Porto Tours include Ermida village - this is one of my all time favourite places. A village almost from another time high in the mountains, accessed via a narrow road that turns into a narrow cobbled, steep road.

They suggest go through the village on a horse ride - cant see any reason for that. Better taking your time and doing your own exploring. Its a small place. If you go ask if they can drive up to the abandoned village of Bilhares, might not be time but its really worth it (its a great walk but you wont have enough time to do it).

6. Re: Parque Nacional Peneda-Geres from Porto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:09 am, July 18, 2012
7. Re: Parque Nacional Peneda-Geres from Porto

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:01 am, July 03, 2012
Braga, Portugal
reviews: 3
8. Re: Parque Nacional Peneda-Geres from Porto

I´ve done the tour with Oporto Adventure Tours and it was absolutely amazing. One of the problem of the Gerês National Park is that most of the most beautiful spots are not signalled. I live in Braga and so I go to the park quite often with my own car, and I had only seen a few of the fantastic spots that Oporto Adventure Tours take us... Amazing waterfalls and lagoons, great lunch, perfect swim spots! It was a fantastic day!

9. Re: Parque Nacional Peneda-Geres from Porto

Just did the tour two days ago, and can safely say that it is amazing. We had a car and we luckily advised at our hostel (Pop) that we would still be better off on a tour than driving in ourselves. Was definitely the right move, the tour takes you to some amazing and secluded areas which are beautiful and certainly not going to be found unless you know there area extremely well. The lunch was also great with a fantastic selection of different Portuguese foods in a tiny little town where we were eating at the only restaurant!

10. Re: Parque Nacional Peneda-Geres from Porto

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:09 am, July 18, 2012